Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

SAbel

Old February 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Will lone wolf be making "official" 4e data sets or will it stay as is with the sets? Ie loading them from the WOTC site, will the updater notify when new content or other updates are made? Can users post personal updates or can this not be done due to GL?

I am sure that I will think of more later

Sean
SAbel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAbel View Post
Will lone wolf be making "official" 4e data sets or will it stay as is with the sets? Ie loading them from the WOTC site,
Unless something changes with Wizards' policies, the downloader will remain the only option. Back in August, Wizards announced "imminent" revisions to the GSL that we hoped would relax some of the restrictions they've imposed. Six months later, we're still waiting to hear what the "imminent" revisions are. :-(

Quote:
will the updater notify when new content or other updates are made?
When functional changes to the 4e data files are made, the new version will appear in the Updates mechanism within HL. However, the data files we distribute do not include any of the actual 4e data, so no notification will appear when new content is available via DDI. This is something that a few enterprising users could coordinate through posts in a thread on the forum here, but we won't be doing so.

Quote:
Can users post personal updates or can this not be done due to GL?
I don't understand this question. Please clarify and I'll do my best to answer it.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I mean that the inforamtion is rather incomplete in some areas such as equipment damage ect. If people start to fill in the blanks and add information as it becomes available then is there a way we can share that or does that break GSL

2nd I wish they would understand that you guys have a quality product that is working and great to go so let you publish it. Stoped myself from heading down a babbling rant on free market and cometition ect.

Thanks to all the wolves for the hard work.

Sean
SAbel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
if you have a DDI account you get the full files if not you get partial material thanks WOTCs

the full set is ofcourse the quality of material that Lone wolf works on, grats guys.

Now I do not have to worry about editing myself.
SAbel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
I mean that the inforamtion is rather incomplete in some areas such as equipment damage ect. If people start to fill in the blanks and add information as it becomes available then is there a way we can share that or does that break GSL
The 4e support within HL is *not* being done under the GSL. I just want to make sure that's 100% clear. :-)

If users want to add their own content that is separate from the material generated by the downloader, that can be done. However, you need to observe a few simple "rules".

1. All material generated by the downloader is placed in ".dat" files. All new user-created material should be placed in ".user" files. The content is the same, but this ensures there is no possibility that user-created content will be clobbered by the generated content when you download updated material at some point later.

2. If you want to customize the generated material, follow these steps for each item you want to "modify".
a. Using the Editor, copy the thing you want to modify.
b. Assign the thing a new unique id.
c. Enter the original thing's unique id in the "Replaces Id" field.
d. Save your new material in a ".user" file.
The above steps will ensure your material replaces the material generated by the downloader, regardless of what changes are subsequently made by the downloader.

3. Users can share any ".user" files they create with each other. The question of what is and isn't in compliance with all the various rules that Wizards has set forth is something everyone will need to determine for themselves.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thank you Rob for your help.
I am sure I have an idea of whats going on with all this but hey I know that you can not speak beyound what you have said.
I still love HL it rocks and I think I sent some sales your way after the Con I went to this past weekend, or at least some data pack material.

Keep up the great work.

Sean
SAbel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote