Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 31st, 2018, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
I can tell you that I'm going to be moving my HL installation into a virtual machine. At some point, LW is going to drop HL Classic (likely not for a few years from now, at the soonest) and when they do, it might not be possible to authorize a license on a new computer. However, if I put it inside a VM, I can always move that VM to a new computer when I replace my old one, even if they do kill their web-based license server. (And this is the main reason I hate centralized license servers. At least LW allows one authorization for the computer to activated and stay activated. This thing where your computer must connect to the vendor's server at least every X number of days is terrible.)
Based on how old Army Builder is and is still supported I do NOT agree with HLC going away anytime soon. Longer than a few years more like 10+.

If it happens I am pretty sure LW would give plenty of notice of this fact. On top of this I think it would be easy to see this change coming. LW would only do it once they had very few customers using HLC. Again not something that is going to happen for very long time. I would personally not be worried about the desktop app going anywhere for.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old April 1st, 2018, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I would personally not be worried about the desktop app going anywhere for.
"My number one rule is, 'hope for the best, plan for the worst.'"
Azhrei is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old April 4th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Here is the main issue I have with HLO.

I don't see support for custom material like the Pathfinder Pack. There isn't any way to upload custom portrait art or disable the cookie cutter images that are forced on you with your character and race choice. There's also no multiple license provision so instead of giving secondary licenses to my family and group, I've got to pay the full price for the program and expansions for everyone.
LazarX is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
Here is the main issue I have with HLO.

I don't see support for custom material like the Pathfinder Pack. There isn't any way to upload custom portrait art or disable the cookie cutter images that are forced on you with your character and race choice. There's also no multiple license provision so instead of giving secondary licenses to my family and group, I've got to pay the full price for the program and expansions for everyone.
Just FYI these are all "coming" in the future things. I know it doesn't fix the issue now but I am trying to way patiently also. The no custom content part is just killing me!

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Artanthos

Old April 12th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
There's also no multiple license provision so instead of giving secondary licenses to my family and group, I've got to pay the full price for the program and expansions for everyone.
This alone make HLO a non-starter for me.

No way am I purchasing the entire Pathfinder library four times so my wife and daughters can have copies of their characters.

I'll go back to the custom sheets I made for Word.
Artanthos is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 12th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanthos View Post
This alone make HLO a non-starter for me.

No way am I purchasing the entire Pathfinder library four times so my wife and daughters can have copies of their characters.

I'll go back to the custom sheets I made for Word.
The official HLO FAQ says this is NOT how things will work for Pathfinder. Each Pathfinder license will allow an additional device to be logged in. Exactly so that your "Wife" or family member does not need to re-buy everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLO FAQ
Q: How will my Hero Lab Classic secondary licenses transfer to Hero Lab Online?
A: In Hero Lab Classic, secondary licenses allow users to access their content on multiple devices. Hero Lab Online will employ a similar concept, allowing simultaneous access to your account from multiple devices (e.g. multiple family members). Migration from Classic to Online will convert your secondary licenses to simultaneous devices in the new environment.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 12th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Where I run my games we don't have internet access at the gaming location at all, HLO just isn't worth the extra cash to us. We don't run starfinder at the moment either so its kind of a waste to us. I can print sheets from the terminal we have set up with Hero Lab at the game location but without internet HLO just doesn't serve our needs. I'd prefer to print out things before going to the game location but with the players not always being consistent its a bit of a bother to do that. Sometimes they will level up, change their mind about a choice they made a couple times before arriving at the game and then I have to change the sheet anyway. I just do everything at the game location when it comes to their sheets now.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 12th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Where I run my games we don't have internet access at the gaming location at all, HLO just isn't worth the extra cash to us. We don't run starfinder at the moment either so its kind of a waste to us. I can print sheets from the terminal we have set up with Hero Lab at the game location but without internet HLO just doesn't serve our needs. I'd prefer to print out things before going to the game location but with the players not always being consistent its a bit of a bother to do that. Sometimes they will level up, change their mind about a choice they made a couple times before arriving at the game and then I have to change the sheet anyway. I just do everything at the game location when it comes to their sheets now.
Must be a real backwater then. No cell phones either? A night of gaming will use less that 500k of data.

I am really looking forward to the features an online model can offer that a desktop one can't.
Toblakai is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 13th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Must be a real backwater then. No cell phones either? A night of gaming will use less that 500k of data.

I am really looking forward to the features an online model can offer that a desktop one can't.
Not all of us like, or or able, to be connected online all the time. Anyway, public wi-fi is inherently insecure.

Also, what happens on the game nights where the server is down for maintenance. This is possibly more of a problem in Europe than the U.S. if the servers are taken down during the U.S. day when it will be evenining in Europe.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #49 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 13th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Not all of us like, or or able, to be connected online all the time. Anyway, public wi-fi is inherently insecure.

Also, what happens on the game nights where the server is down for maintenance. This is possibly more of a problem in Europe than the U.S. if the servers are taken down during the U.S. day when it will be evenining in Europe.
Public wifi maybe insecure, but that doesn't stop 99.99% of people from using it

The server maintenance windows are problematic. They need to come up with a zero downtime deployment, I suspect this hasn't been a priority yet but should be as the number of users increase (i.e. when Pathfinder is available).
Toblakai is offline   #50 Reply With Quote