Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
What legalities are required for building & releasing a dataset for a game that's under the Creative Commons License? In particular, I'm looking at the game Dungeonslayers.

BTW, I heartily recommend checking out Dungeonslayers. It's free, only twenty pages, and makes a good night's diversion.
FifthWanderer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
There shouldnt be a problem if you create the content and give it away for free. Its when you start to charge for it that legalities get sticky.

If you have questions though you should contact the Dragonslayer folks and ask them its OK to create the content for Hero Lab. Most companies are very good about getting back to you so i would recommend going that route.
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Stargazer

Old January 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hi! I am Michael Wolf, the guy who translated most of DS into English. Although I can't speak for Christian Kennig, who created DS, I know enough about the game and the license it uses to answer your question.

You are free to do anything with Dungeonslayers as long as you make sure Christian Kennig is properly attributed as the creator of Dungeonslayers. You also have to share the dataset under the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution-Share-Alike-Non-Commercial license.

When you want to sell the dataset or make it available under another license, you'll have to ask CK for permission. Why not post at the official forums about your plans? I am sure there are a few people who might be interested in helping you.

Last edited by Stargazer; January 13th, 2010 at 12:50 AM.
Stargazer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote