Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

adzling

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Hey a few questions re: player edition that I can't find anywhere.

1). Does player edition offer a "player view" window so the user can see what the GM presents in the "player view" within Realmworks?

For example if the GM is showing local players some Realmworks content via player view on a second monitor can a remote player using player edition see the same content?

2). Am I correct in assuming that if we are using the cloud service that a player can access the Realmworks content from anywhere in real time as it's shared?

Anything else we should be aware of with this setup?

thanks!
adzling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
Hey a few questions re: player edition that I can't find anywhere.

1). Does player edition offer a "player view" window so the user can see what the GM presents in the "player view" within Realmworks?

For example if the GM is showing local players some Realmworks content via player view on a second monitor can a remote player using player edition see the same content?
A player can view anything that has been revealed by the GM. They will need to open the topic in order to view the content. A GM can't "Force" content to a player at this point.

Quote:
2). Am I correct in assuming that if we are using the cloud service that a player can access the Realmworks content from anywhere in real time as it's shared?
There is no "real time" sharing. To see changes made in a realm works the GM must sync and then the player must sync. This is a big limitation (IMHO) that you should be aware of before you buy RW.

However, they are working on a web based option that should be coming soon This might provide some additional features. Live sharing has been requested by many and is on the list of features to be added at some point. Currently, RW can easily take the place of a wikki or forum used by many groups. Lots people from OP have moved to RW and found it to be a great tool.
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:48 AM
1. No, it does not.

2. No, the GM must sync, then the players must sync.

The Player edition is best thought of as a reference to what the players knew before the session and what they know between sessions than any sort of real-time tool. Player View is intended as the real-time tool.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:01 AM
thanks for this.

So Parody I understand that Player View is meant to be the real time player facing tool.

But this is not at all accessible/ viewable by the Player Edition?

That seems like a wasted opportunity.

Ah well.
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Side question: what's the easiest way to sync a realm when you have it open and using it?

The only method I know is to close realmworks and go back to the "open realm" dialog.

Is there any easier way that does not require you to leave / close the current realm?

thanks
adzling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Side question: what's the easiest way to sync a realm when you have it open and using it?

The only method I know is to close realmworks and go back to the "open realm" dialog.

Is there any easier way that does not require you to leave / close the current realm?

thanks
Unfortunately, that is the only way to sync at the moment (as far as I know). This is another feature that has been requested and is probably on the to-do list, but it is a very long list and may take some time. As it stands today, RW just isn't built for players to use at the table (IMHO). It's great for between games use by players. I expect we will get there eventually, but for now it is primarily a GM tool when at the gaming table.
meek75 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Ugh, definitely a lost opportunity there.

Hopefully when they finally rollout the web-view they will include a simple "sync now" option from within the main realmworks interface so players at the table (and not) can view updated content in real-time via a tablet using web-view.

Oh, and of course the option so show content in a player-specific way rather than showing all players.

One can dream right?
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Yes, all those features will be nice. We just have to remember that RW started out primarily as a GM management tool.
meek75 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:33 AM
"As it stands today, RW just isn't built for players to use at the table (IMHO)."

The player view would work fine as a reference for players at the table. If your group does not meet frequently or if your campaign has complicated story lines, it can be useful for the players to be able to quickly look things up.

That said, I personally would rather players not look things up at the table, especially when doing so would require a bunch of lap tops at the table. I'm happy to just answer their questions if they forgot something.

The player view is for sharing content on a second screen. I use it almost exclusively for showing maps. It works very well for this. It also keeps everyone looking at it together as a group.

Personally, I don't know that live reveal would be useful for my group's at-table play style. But live sync would be welcome if, for not other reason, to make on-line sync more convenient.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 11th, 2015, 09:02 AM
So we currently use Realmworks for in-person play with the Player View showing up on an LCD tv we set flat on the table (you may have seen my previous posts with pictures).

However being able to add remote players via the web view and sync easily would be a god-send for us.

Adding the ability to selectively display content to each player would make this much more useable.

As a point of reference I often share dense text / walls of words as background or clue items to my players.
Player view is not ideal for this as it's just not suited to reading long diatribes.

This is why being able to expose content to players selectively, easily sync same to cloud and have players read/ review on their tablets would be so helpful to us.
adzling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote