Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Brolthemighty

Old October 5th, 2013, 11:11 PM
So I just picked up the Spell-Less Ranger pack from paizo's site. Overall, it looks great. I was just wondering if you thought the Ranger archetypes would be compatible, and if so...how would I go about flagging them to apply to it? I would think the archetypes that had the same abilities would be compatible.
Brolthemighty is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM
If they used the base abilities of the Ranger class (ie didn't remake them) then yes it will work. No easy way to "flag" them to work with the Spell-less ranger class. But HL is just giving you a "warning" message not a hard stopping issue. So just add the archetype and see what it does.

If they didn't use the HL Class Abilities Things then the archetype will not work. But you can use on the "Adjust" tab the "Ability: Disable & Hide" adjustment to remove those class abilities the archetype missed.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM
The archetypes are meant to work with it according to the file BUT the way archetypes are done in the editor I believe the archetypes would need to be copied and have the Spell-less ranger class selected for the class to modify.
AndrewD2 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old October 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
When using the spell-less ranger provided by the file, there are no archetypes selectable at all. I guess I could add the greyed out options and see what happens.

Odd that the ones made for the specific class from KQ isn't included either. Weird.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; October 6th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah, HL support for 3rd party stuff is random at best. For the most part it is dependent on the kindness of non-paid contributors. I am of the elitist view that all companies should come up with a way to make their products available through Hero Lab. I am willing to buy official versions of the products for HL, even if that means that I have paid for it three times (print, pdf, and HL).

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old October 6th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Looks like I may have to add this to the list of stuff...maybe, lol. God I wish I was better at coding.

Edit: After using some of my weak Search-Fu, I found out that there were spell-less ranger files on Weasel's site as well as an updated file from Shadow directly. However, installing these two files doesn't seem to change anything. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong (as found, yes the one from KQ is flawed and won't progress the bonus combat style feats earned at lvl 6 or 10.) Am I supposed to be using both files, the KQ and the one on Weasel's?

Edit of Edit: Nevermind, realized I had to enable it in the Configure Hero window before looking for it. The base of it works great! Now if anyone can figure out how the two archetypes would work?

Last edited by Brolthemighty; October 8th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old October 8th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Alright, so looking for a bit of help. I'm working on the Dual Style archetype and have come across an issue. Looking at the base file for the Spellless Ranger, on the archetype I used the Modified Bonus Feats Per Level button at the appropriate levels for the Combat Style Feats. Then, going over to the Modified Secondary Ability (since combat style is a Secondary Ability) I then did the same.

After it was all done, I'm able to select two combat styles at lvl 2, and two feats. However, when increasing to lvl 6, I only get a single feat selection, and it then registers that I have one combat style too many. Anyone able to clarify?

This archetype doesn't "seem" too hard...just modify number of combat styles, and limit to one Favored Enemy (although I'm not finding where to modify that at). However...my limitations are always there, bleh.
Brolthemighty is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 9th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolthemighty View Post
After it was all done, I'm able to select two combat styles at lvl 2, and two feats. However, when increasing to lvl 6, I only get a single feat selection, and it then registers that I have one combat style too many. Anyone able to clarify?
Without seeing what you did its a little hard to figure out. My guess is that when you filled out the array of values you didn't increase the values all the way up.

So if at level 2 you have a value of 2 then at level 6 I would assume you need "3" to account for getting one more. Thats my best guess without seeing it.

If you want you could email the files at my forum id at yahoo dot com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolthemighty View Post
This archetype doesn't "seem" too hard...just modify number of combat styles, and limit to one Favored Enemy (although I'm not finding where to modify that at). However...my limitations are always there, bleh.
You will have to write a script. Just a few posts down from this thread is one all about Favored Enemy. Which lists the macro's to use to change Favored Enemy values. What you would want to do is instead of adding is force the value to "1" so that you only ever get to pick one.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info Shadow! I've got the combat style feats to work, and even was able to set the archetype to properly only give one favored enemy...but now I'm not getting it to advance properly. Same goes for the Companion-Bound Ranger archetype I'm working on for Favored Terrain. From the linked thread you gave, I'm thinking I'd need to add a script like...

Quote:
hero.child[resEnemUpg].field[resMax].value += 1
But I'm not seeing how/why it would properly count the Upgrade value based on level. I'm thinking to change it for favored terrain, it'd be changing the resEnemUpg tag to TerraUpg or something. Still looking for that field atm.

Edit: So I got the upgrades to Favored Enemy working for the Dual Combat Style archetype, and am working on the fix for Favored Terrain as well. Looking like the script I'm using...

Quote:
hero.child[resTerrUpg].field[resMax].value += 1
It's not quite working right. It gives me the upgrade for my first "skipped" terrain at lvl 8, but not for lvl 13 or 18. I'll keep working, but if anyone can help me out, that'd be great. Also looks like this fix only gives me one upgrade to Favored Enemy as well....So I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. Going to be trying some stuff, lol.

Edit of Edit: So it looks like I need to write a class count, done if statement, essentially adding each upgrade individually depending on if I've reached the right level of Spell-less Ranger. Seems a bit clunky, but it works I guess. Well, we'll see.

Final Edit of Night (probably): I have the majority of the work on the archetypes done, just the problem with the Favored Enemy/Terrain upgrades. I also have all of the bonus feats at least added in, including their working prerequisites. No scripting has been done, but it's progressing. This is all in a single file so once it's done, if I can figure out how to get it all working at a proper level, I'll push it back through to be uploaded on to Weasel's site for sharing.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; October 10th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old October 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Andrew, I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm working on getting everything done on your files, getting it all compiled with the other work done, but I noticed something on your base class.....you're missing all of the combat styles except Archery! Now, I'm trying to get that fixed, by adapting the code used by the original file in order to get all the combat styles working, but I'm needing help translating it a bit. Here's what I'm looking at using...

Quote:
var lvlRgr as number
var lvlRsl as number
var lvl as number
var iX as number

~ Get count of levels
lvlRgr = hero.child[kqRangerSL].tagcount[Classes.Ranger]
lvlRsl = hero.tagcount[Classes.RangerSL]

~ Remove all ranger levels
perform hero.delete[Classes.Ranger]

~ If ranger levels not equal to Spellless then reset ranger levels
if (lvlRgr <> lvlRsl) Then
lvl = lvlRsl - lvlRgr
~ we want only the positive value
If (lvl < 0) Then
lvl *= -1
Endif
~ assign the real ranger levels back
while (iX < lvl)
iX += 1
perform hero.assign[Classes.Ranger]
loop
endif
I'm pretty sure this is the script that gets the combat style working...but it's using identifiers that are different in your user file. I'm just having a hard time finding what each identifier actually is. These:

kqRangerSL
Classes.RangerSL
lvlRsl

I think that if I can substitute in your unique ID's for them, it'll get all combat styles to work on your file...which would be a good bit faster than trying to transition the work you had done that I didn't, over to the file I had.

Here's what I'm looking at for code...

Quote:
var lvlRgr as number
var lvlSlr as number
var lvl as number
var iX as number

~ Get count of levels
lvlRgr = hero.child[ODSLRanger].tagcount[Classes.Ranger]
lvlSlr = hero.tagcount[Classes.Spellless]

~ Remove all ranger levels
perform hero.delete[Classes.Ranger]

~ If ranger levels not equal to Spellless then reset ranger levels
if (lvlRgr <> lvlSlr) Then
lvl = lvlSlr - lvlRgr
~ we want only the positive value
If (lvl < 0) Then
lvl *= -1
Endif
~ assign the real ranger levels back
while (iX < lvl)
iX += 1
perform hero.assign[Classes.Ranger]
loop
endif
The problem being that I'm getting an error. Here's the error:

Quote:
Attempt to access non-existent child pick 'ODSLRanger' from script
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'cSpellless' (Eval Script '#1') near line 4
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'cSpellless' (Eval Script '#1') near line 4
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Thing 'cHelpSLR' (Eval Script '#2') near line 7

Also, I was noticing in your configurable for the Teamwork class ability, you also made teamwork feats eligible. Was this to aid with Coordinated Companion?
Brolthemighty is offline   #10 Reply With Quote