Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

TaylorBland

Old July 7th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Just as an update, i decided not to do the Pieces of Eden thing. it may have worked, but it was just far too much of a pain in the ass for me.

Anyway, i did have another question.

When adding new Feats, i have some that provide character options. for example:
ARCANE STUDENT:
Requires the ability to cast at least one spell
Gain 1 Arcane Tradition from the Wizards Class. You gain the second level power of that Tradition but you do not gain more later on.

Another one is:
KI SENSITIVE
You gain 2 Ki points (If you already have this class feature, gain 2 more)
You can learn one Ki Feature fro this list; Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, or Step of the Wind, and can use it as if you were the Monk Class. you regain them after a short or long rest.

My question is, how do i add class features to a Feat but on a far more limited scale? my idea is to add some more custimization and freedom in some players without having to multiclass if they do not want to.
TaylorBland is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old July 7th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBland View Post
My question is, how do i add class features to a Feat but on a far more limited scale? my idea is to add some more custimization and freedom in some players without having to multiclass if they do not want to.
So, semi-Gestalting, usually this unbalances character power levels and isn't something I recommend unless you live in a really low-population area and can't find a 4th or 5th player. Anyway, recommendations to not do it aside, here is the way I might do it:

Quote:
ARCANE STUDENT:
Gain 1 Arcane Tradition from the Wizards Class. You gain the second level power of that Tradition but you do not gain more later on.
For this one you can bootstrap all the 2nd level abilities from the Class specials from Wizards to the Feat. Add an Array Based Menu with each row of the menu being the name of one of the schools (Abjuration on line 0, Conjuration on line 1, etc.). Then go into each of your bootstraps and set the conditions to be appropriate to the usrIndex chosen. (for Abjuration in my example, the condition would be fieldval:usrIndex = 0, Conjuration would be fieldval:usrIndex = 1, etc...). As always timing is going to be odd, but I think you're OK post-level, since these are added post-level to a wizard... I think.

Quote:
KI SENSITIVE
You gain 2 Ki points (If you already have this class feature, gain 2 more)
You can learn one Ki Feature fro this list; Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, or Step of the Wind, and can use it as if you were the Monk Class. you regain them after a short or long rest.
This one is more tricky. First you have to check to see if the class has the trkKi or the monk's ki ability - probably using the #hasability[] macro. Then if they do, you just += 2 to the trkMax value of the tracker (Hint: go to the Class Special tab and copy the Ki ability to see how the monk actually adds to the tracker). Otherwise you need to add the tracker and set the same value to 2.
Then you do the same as above for the Arcane Student feat, bootstrap the class abilities to the feat, put a conditional that looks for the usrIndex value from the list you type in.
dungeonguru is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old July 7th, 2018, 11:43 PM
WOW. Thanks dungeonguru. that looks complex, and to be fair i knew it would be, but like i've said, if you don't try you never know. thanks and have a great day. i will work on this.
TaylorBland is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old July 11th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Another, maybe a stupid one, question. One of my new items is called the Battle Robe. it is a simple set of Light Armor that only grants a +1 bonus to AR but it can be used without Light Armor Proficiency required. how do i code the fact that the Light Armor Proficiency is not required?

The idea is that the Proficiency is not required so that those classes without Light Armor can have something to aid them, at least in a minor sense.

"The Battle Robes were designed by a mage a few hundred years ago who say a fatal flaw in the fact that mages don't do so well in armor. He designed simple robes with hardened leather hard points to add some protection while keeping the mage agile and quick."
TaylorBland is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old July 12th, 2018, 02:58 AM
If you created the item as magic armor, you just need to make sure that it has the Helper.Proficient tag on it (look at Elven Chain for an example). I think that will also work for non-magical armor too.
dungeonguru is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old July 12th, 2018, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Another, maybe a stupid one, question. One of my new items is called the Battle Robe. it is a simple set of Light Armor that only grants a +1 bonus to AR but it can be used without Light Armor Proficiency required. how do i code the fact that the Light Armor Proficiency is not required?
You could create it as a wondrous item, eg a Robe, that requires a body slot and grants an armor bonus. This avoids the armor requirement. Look at things like Bracers of Defense and the Corset of Dire Witchcraft.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old July 12th, 2018, 08:31 AM
The other way to go is what I used for my own battle robes. I simply created a light armor versin of Elven Chain which grants its wearer the abilty to use light armor when the robe is worn.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old July 12th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post

<ARCANE STUDENT:
Gain 1 Arcane Tradition from the Wizards Class. You gain the second level power of that Tradition but you do not gain more later on.>

For this one you can bootstrap all the 2nd level abilities from the Class specials from Wizards to the Feat. Add an Array Based Menu with each row of the menu being the name of one of the schools (Abjuration on line 0, Conjuration on line 1, etc.). Then go into each of your bootstraps and set the conditions to be appropriate to the usrIndex chosen. (for Abjuration in my example, the condition would be fieldval:usrIndex = 0, Conjuration would be fieldval:usrIndex = 1, etc...). As always timing is going to be odd, but I think you're OK post-level, since these are added post-level to a wizard... I think.
Okay, so i have done exactly this. However, the class feature selected doesn't show in the character itself. how do i go about fixing it?
TaylorBland is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old July 12th, 2018, 10:08 PM
So, here is the current script for this Feat so that you guys may better understand where i may have gone wrong:

<thing id="fArcaneStudent" name="Arcane Student" description="Choose one arcane tradition from the wizard class, such as divination or evocation. You gain the 2nd level benefit of that arcane tradition, but not the benefits gained at later levels. \nFor example, if you took divination you gain the benefits of Divination Savant, and of Portent (see Player&apos;s Handbook, page 116)." compset="Feat" uniqueness="useronce">
<fieldval field="usrLabelAr" value="Select School"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="0" value="Abjuration"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="1" value="Conjuration"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="2" value="Divination"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="3" value="Enchantment"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="4" value="Evocation"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="5" value="Illusion"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="6" value="Necromancy"/>
<arrayval field="usrArray" index="7" value="TRansmutation"/>
<usesource source="OrdoRosera"/>
<tag group="FeatureTyp" tag="Special"/>
<tag group="ProductId" tag="OrdoRosera"/>
<tag group="Helper" tag="ShowSpec"/>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CEnchan"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CEvocat"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CIllusi"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CNecrom"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CAbjura"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CConjur"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ssTrans"></bootstrap>
<bootstrap thing="ss5CDivi"></bootstrap>

<prereq message="">
<validate><![CDATA[
~ Test that the character has at least one spell
~ or spell-like ability. &
var HasSpells as number
Call 5CHasSpell
@valid = HasSpells]]></validate>
</prereq>
</thing>
</document>

I think (In the Bolded Section) i messed up there. i think i added the wrong things, and need to add each individual power instead of the entire school but i'm not sure. if this is the case, how do i make sure both level 2 powers are added at the same time?
TaylorBland is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old July 13th, 2018, 03:26 AM
OK, I apologize, I may have given a little bit of bad advice as I tried to create your feat to help troubleshoot. I forgot that class specials always refer to the class level that adds them and look for the ClsSpecWhen variable that feats don't look at.

The only way I got it to work was to recreate the 2nd level abilities as Racial Specials and rewrite any attached scripts to look up the character's total level. It's more work than I originally thought but good coding exercise. I think this could work as generic abilities, but racial abilities are an OK compromise IMHO.

I went to the Race Tab and created the abilities needed by making a new ability that would mimic the school ability. I.E. created a racial ability named Arcane Ward.

Here is what my code looks like in the text file for a single row in the usrArray, yours would have 9 total rows for each of the others. I also am only showing the 1 racial ability for Arcane Ward in interest of being compact here. I tried to bold the cross-links that refer to something external to the thing itself.

Code:
  <thing id="fXXXArcStu" name="Arcane Student" compset="Feat" uniqueness="useronce">
    <arrayval field="usrArray" index="0" value="Abjuration"/>
    <bootstrap thing="raXXXArcWar">
      <containerreq phase="First" priority="2500">fieldval:usrIndex = 0</containerreq>
      </bootstrap>
    </thing>
  <thing id="raXXXArcWar" name="Arcane Ward" description="Starting at 2nd level, you can weave magic around yourself for protection. \n\n&lt;snipped for brevity&gt;...\n\nOnce you create the ward, you can&apos;t create it again until you finish a long rest." compset="RaceSpec">
    <tag group="User" tag="Tracker"/>
    <tag group="Usage" tag="Day"/>
    <eval phase="PostAttr" priority="10000"><![CDATA[doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)

field[trkMax].value = #attrmod[aINT] + (2 * #totallevelcount[])]]></eval>
    </thing>

I also noted that you aren't using a User Identifier - In the editor go to to Tools and set a user identifier that is unique to you. I used XXX in the example above - use any 2 or 3 letters that you'll remember is your code (the community uses 5C, don't use that ID). It helps troubleshooting.
dungeonguru is offline   #20 Reply With Quote