Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by candidgamera View Post
Animal Command (Su) : The ancient is able to exert control over one specific species of animal. (...) The ancient can rebuke or command animals of this species just as an evil cleric can rebuke or command undead. The ability takes effect as if used by a cleric of level equal to the ancient's hit dice.

And :

Command Undead (Su) : The ancient gains the ability to rebuke or command undead as if it were a cleric of level equal to its hit dice. If the ancient already has this ability as a former cleric, it may add 4 to its effective level when rebuking.
Command Undead is in PF and in the CORE rule book. I would just mimic its rules but in the first case it would be control of a specific animal.

Quote:
And the bonus question - the Elemental Affinity ability gives an Ancient Dead who is already a cleric a bonus (third) cleric domain, chosen from one of the four elemental domains. Is there anything in the game that gives a cleric a third domain already that I can clone?
Domain, Rage Powers, Rogue Talents, etc are all just custom abilities and their is a field on the Class Helper that holds the number. You just have to increase it by one.

So add a level cleric and then go to "Develop->Floating Info Windows->Show Selection Fields". In the new list you want to check mark "Cleric" but you want the Class Helper not the Class Level. So you want to pick the one with the unique id starting with cHelpXXX where XXX will be the three character id for the cleric. Then look through the fields listed do you see one that is holding the value you need to increase?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=candidgamera;179986]

Command Undead (Su) : The ancient gains the ability to rebuke or command undead as if it were a cleric of level equal to its hit dice. If the ancient already has this ability as a former cleric, it may add 4 to its effective level when rebuking.

[QUOTE]

You just need to go into the editor and look at the feat Turn Undead for this. There should be a field that sets the level of the power. You can make a copy of the feat and add a Helper.Helper tag to it, then bootstrap it to the ability. Your copy can then modify the script to account for the level change.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
You just need to go into the editor and look at the feat Turn Undead for this. There should be a field that sets the level of the power. You can make a copy of the feat and add a Helper.Helper tag to it, then bootstrap it to the ability. Your copy can then modify the script to account for the level change.
The problem is that the Ancient has no underlying Channel Energy ability to determine, for instance, how many times per day it can be used. (Unless it was formerly a cleric)

Last edited by candidgamera; April 7th, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
candidgamera is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Command Undead is in PF and in the CORE rule book. I would just mimic its rules but in the first case it would be control of a specific animal.
I am aware of the feat, but the feat modifies the Channel Energy ability , which the Ancient may not have.

Quote:
Domain, Rage Powers, Rogue Talents, etc are all just custom abilities and their is a field on the Class Helper that holds the number. You just have to increase it by one.

So add a level cleric and then go to "Develop->Floating Info Windows->Show Selection Fields". In the new list you want to check mark "Cleric" but you want the Class Helper not the Class Level. So you want to pick the one with the unique id starting with cHelpXXX where XXX will be the three character id for the cleric. Then look through the fields listed do you see one that is holding the value you need to increase?
I assume then that the answer to my question is 'No', so I'll have to look into doing it this way.
candidgamera is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Aside from the fact that Command Undead is an extension of Energy Channeling, my other main boggle on converting those abilities is that Rebuking doesn't appear to be a thing in Pathfinder.
candidgamera is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Quote:
I am aware of the feat, but the feat modifies the Channel Energy ability , which the Ancient may not have.
Right which is exactly what your looking for as mechanics will be the same. Remove the wording for Channel Energy and you have the mechanics for the ability you want instead of the old 3.5 rules.

Don't get caught up in to many small details many times its better to look at these things in a more Generic sense.

Quote:
I assume then that the answer to my question is 'No', so I'll have to look into doing it this way.
I am showing you how to "solve" your current issue and many future issues. I am teaching you how to fish instead of just giving you a fish. Learning how to find the tags/values yourself is going to be MUCH more useful than always requiring something to copy from.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Right which is exactly what your looking for as mechanics will be the same. Remove the wording for Channel Energy and you have the mechanics for the ability you want instead of the old 3.5 rules.

Don't get caught up in to many small details many times its better to look at these things in a more Generic sense.
Except how many times per day can the Ancient use it?

Quote:
I am showing you how to "solve" your current issue and many future issues. I am teaching you how to fish instead of just giving you a fish. Learning how to find the tags/values yourself is going to be MUCH more useful than always requiring something to copy from.
Heh. That's very didactic of you. But my hope was there was a built-in ability that I could just bootstrap - far lower chance of introducing a bug that way. I would have assumed that something in Pathfinder actually granted a cleric an additional domain.
candidgamera is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Hmm, that may have sounded too harsh. What I am trying to convey is that I know I can achieve the effect the way you describe; that is a correct solution to the problem. But it's also the worst correct solution to the problem. It requires the greatest effort and offers the greatest chance of error. What I trying to determine is if there are other possible solutions - bootstrapping an existing object (or at the least, re-using code) reduces both the effort required and the chance for error.

Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, before.
candidgamera is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Hmm, that may have sounded too harsh. What I am trying to convey is that I know I can achieve the effect the way you describe; that is a correct solution to the problem. But it's also the worst correct solution to the problem. It requires the greatest effort and offers the greatest chance of error. What I trying to determine is if there are other possible solutions - bootstrapping an existing object (or at the least, re-using code) reduces both the effort required and the chance for error.

Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, before.
No problem. I do try very hard to no take things in a bad way on forums. Written word is a AWFUL medium for relaying emotion so I assume people are just writing in a hurry or don't mean things to sound bad. Unless they put swear words in then NO mistaking that idea.

You make a valid point and I can understand it. Where I am working currently I am in a lead/manager roll and I was recently told I need to "lead people" not direct people. Basically I need to lead people to their own answers not just give them an answer. So I recently started using this forum as my guinea pig to practice. I admit its harder to do than it sounds.

For an actual example I honestly can't think of something that gives an extra Domain except a archetype which is not helpful. Oh actually really close would be the "Extra Rogue Talent" feat actually. Remember in HL all Custom Abilities are the same thing so that would work with some tweaks to go after Cleric instead of Rogue. Only other example was one of my adjustments but that is coded to allow the class as a selection.

Quote:
Except how many times per day can the Ancient use it?
My opinion is that monsters last 3 rounds of combat tops. It makes little difference at the end of the day if its 1/day or 20/days. The creatures dead and off the game table way before it matters. Yes their is some exceptions but that is why I don't put much stock in fine details on monsters. Player's character heck yea. Monsters blah not worth it.

If you want it be some value make it the same as Channel Energy (3 + her Charisma modifier) a day. Which fits pretty well as Undead now have Cha scores as that is what gives them their Extra HP.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
candidgamera

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Quote:
No problem. I do try very hard to no take things in a bad way on forums. Written word is a AWFUL medium for relaying emotion so I assume people are just writing in a hurry or don't mean things to sound bad. Unless they put swear words in then NO mistaking that idea.

You make a valid point and I can understand it. Where I am working currently I am in a lead/manager roll and I was recently told I need to "lead people" not direct people. Basically I need to lead people to their own answers not just give them an answer. So I recently started using this forum as my guinea pig to practice. I admit its harder to do than it sounds.

For an actual example I honestly can't think of something that gives an extra Domain except a archetype which is not helpful. Oh actually really close would be the "Extra Rogue Talent" feat actually. Remember in HL all Custom Abilities are the same thing so that would work with some tweaks to go after Cleric instead of Rogue. Only other example was one of my adjustments but that is coded to allow the class as a selection.

My opinion is that monsters last 3 rounds of combat tops. It makes little difference at the end of the day if its 1/day or 20/days. The creatures dead and off the game table way before it matters. Yes their is some exceptions but that is why I don't put much stock in fine details on monsters. Player's character heck yea. Monsters blah not worth it.

If you want it be some value make it the same as Channel Energy (3 + her Charisma modifier) a day. Which fits pretty well as Undead now have Cha scores as that is what gives them their Extra HP.
Thanks! Those are both very helpful tidbits. I'll take a look.
candidgamera is offline   #30 Reply With Quote