Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

cyberqat

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Is it possible to buy, say, Fantasy grounds content and import it into Realworks?
cyberqat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:15 PM
What format does FG come in? an you access the raw data?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old July 16th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Most FG purchased content is encrypted, and you cannot access the source material. You could write an extension to export in xml maybe, but I haven't actually tried it.
Bidmaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
There is no reasonable way to import the encrypted data. The unencrypted data could be run through an XLST script to get the RW xml format. I doubt it would be worth the effort since there is so little unencrypted content out there.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old July 17th, 2018, 02:15 AM
The store products are encrypted. There are ways around, but even then it does not help you much, because you need to data transformation between the XML based content of FG and the format supported by RW.

The structure of a FG module/db files depend on the ruleset, some are shitty to work with, others are easy. You need to do data mapping and transformation, which might not worth the time. Sometimes copy-paste is actually faster. Realm Works is much more complex and sophisticated campaign manager than FG is at the moment.

So far, there is no good and complete documentation from LWD that will help you make application to properly read and write RW export/import files. Farling managed to provide to excellent tools that actually keep this product alive for me - CSV Importer and the Output Formatter.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 18th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Yes both of those tools are a real benefit. Also don't forget Eightblitz who provided us with the nice powershell conversion method that got the ball rolling (i think) :P

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #6 Reply With Quote