Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

AEIOU

Old March 26th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Keep in mind that gaming is a hobby. And hobbies make us happy. And happiness is priceless.

My wife helped me put things in perspective a year ago when I was trying to justify buying a new sleeping bag for over $300. And a new backpack. And maybe a new pair of boots. I recently added up the cost of my gear for a typical outing and was shocked that it was over $1500. For roughing it.... Anyways, back to my wife. She grew up skiing pretty frequently. She asked me how much I'm paying for lodging on the trail (nada), how much for food ($15-20 for a weekend), how much for travel ($20ish) and how often do I replace gear (almost never). Then she pointed out that between gear, gas, lodging and eating out, skiing and most other sports hobbies made my outdoors budget look downright thrifty. I bought the sleeping bag and didn't feel guilty.

For me, CC3 is the same way. My wife may some day regret putting things into perspective....
AEIOU is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 26th, 2015, 08:49 PM
All decent mapping software has a learning curve, and neither CC3 nor FM8 are small here; the former is probably more versatile, while the latter is somewhat (but only somewhat) easier to use.
Paragon is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 27th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I like AEIOU am a long time owner and just now mapper with Campaign Cartographer.

I just posted my first ever official work over at ProFantasy, check it out would love your feed back. Consider this a half a days work or so by an amateur, second full map attempt. When I was originally starting it, checked the Profantasy site for some tips, saw the new version was close, so decided to wait, it was worth it!

This was done using CC3+ and Mike Schley style which is just amazing!
http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...&page=1#Item_0

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old March 27th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I am loving CC3+ the only thing i can see is that the mountains are a bit large for my taste but they are not wrong its just a matter of preference
Dervish is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 27th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Change the scale? You can make them as big or small as you like.
AEIOU is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:28 PM
That looks brilliant. I have seen a lot of really incredible looking maps from CC3+ users, but am so far away from that right now!
stuartwaring is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Change the scale? You can make them as big or small as you like.
This can be done manually before placement by holding Ctrl and moving the mouse up and down, as well as more precisely by selecting the entity and editing the scale.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
This can be done manually before placement by holding Ctrl and moving the mouse up and down, as well as more precisely by selecting the entity and editing the scale.
By right mouse clicking just before placing the feature (while the feature is in the mouse). Note that CC3/CC3+ remembers your set scale so you will have to change it back when/if you want the original scale
Mmurphy is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I use Hexographer in the Pro version.

I have been looking at the other tools (CC3, Fractal Mapper among others).

I love the maps I have seen others make, but alas, I neither have the patience nor the skill - not to mention the time - to pull that off.

I have had Hexographer for 2-3 weeks now and have got more mapping done already than I ever had in my entire life previously.

It is easy and fast to make maps and it is a surprisingly versatile and strong program.

I will recommend it if you like me need an easy and fast tool to make maps today that you need tomorrow at the gaming table.

My main concern is getting places and natural features placed in relation to another, so that I can look at it and make my story consistent (at least as far as the geography is concerned). All the blows and whistles of CC3 gets in the way for me as I end up spending more time on making a short coastline (and not even a good one at that) than I do on preparing for the game itself.

But boy, does the CC3 maps look beautiful when done by someone who knows what they are doing. :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Hexographer is good for what it is, but people need to be aware what that is: terrain hex maps (and Traveller style sector/system maps); if you also want something for buildings or battlemaps, its not going to do it.
Paragon is offline   #40 Reply With Quote