Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

KrokrRhogar

Old July 24th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I cannot find an adept power 'Commanding Voice'. It's a requirement for 'Silver-Tongued Devil'.

According to Street Grimoire errata, 'Commanding Voice' had change to 'Authentication Tone' (Which present in the Hero lab) but the 'Silver-Tongued Devil' still require the 'Commanding Voice'.

If I'm not misunderstood. If I am, Where can I find this 'Commanding Voice'?
KrokrRhogar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old July 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
You will need the package containing Stolen Souls iirc.
adzling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Silver-Tongued devil is in SG, and references Commanding Voice by page number. That means that the intent was that it requires the power that was renamed Authoritative Tone in the errata, rather than the Commanding Voice power from Stolen Souls. So that's a bug that it's currently requiring the one from another book. I've gotten it fixed for the next update.

Last edited by Mathias; August 5th, 2015 at 07:05 AM.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old August 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Mathias you are incorrect.

Silver Tongued Devil works to enhance Commanding Voice, NOT Authoritative Tone.

So if you do not have Commanding Voice Silver Tongued Devil will do nothing.

Hence why Commanding Voice (not Auth. Tone) is required to acquire and use Silver Tongued Devil.

Please ensure you correct this.

If you have any questions on this please pm or email me.

thanks
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 7th, 2015, 01:14 PM
adzling, if you have an argument as to why this change should not be made, please present your evidence. So far, you have not explained why it should not be changed.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old August 7th, 2015, 10:25 PM
I might be able to help out here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG pg. 159
An adept of the Speaker's Way can create a longer-lasting impression on subjects when using Commanding Voice (p. 170). If the adept wins the Opposed Test, the target continues to carry out the action for one minute before realizing what they're doing. The Silver-Tongued Devil's verboseness makes it unusable in combat situations. [...] Prerequisite: Commanding Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Errata: Authoritative Tone
Adepts with this power can speak in a way that immediately makes people want to believe them and follow their orders. For every level of this power, an adept gains a +1 die to any Opposed Social Skill Test that they initiate (normal limits apply).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt from Stolen Souls: Commanding Voice
If the adept succeeds in the test, the target uses his next action to either carry out the command or stands confused (gamemaster's choice, but the more net hits achieved the more likely it is for the target to obey the adept's command). Such commands carry no weight beyond the immediate impetus, and the affected characters will quickly reassert their wits, returning to their original course of action.
Per the part of the text that I underlined, Silver-Tongued Devil alters the duration that "Commanding Voice" lasts before the target realizes what they are doing. The problem is that the new ability, "Authoritative Tone," which has replaced Commanding Voice in the Street Grimoire does not create any effect that is applicably altered by this ability. On the other hand, the Commanding Voice in Stolen Souls has a statement talking about how the target quickly reasserts their will as I underlined in that quote.

The argument here is that Silver-Tongued Devil presumably requires the ability which it alters. And Authoritative Tone does not have any ability that could be altered by Silver-Tongued Devil. Thus, the assumption would be that when they errata'd Commanding Voice to stay as the printing in Stolen Souls, they also likely should have errata'd any applicable indexing referencing Commanding Voice to point at the one in Stolen Souls. Otherwise, the ability Silver-Tongued Devil doesn't do anything at all.
Kiirnodel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old August 8th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Kiirnodel is 100% correct.

The power description clearly defines it's effect, which does not make any sense if you try to apply it to Auth. Tone.
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote