Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

TaylorBland

Old June 16th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I have a unique Shield i created with the editor. It is called the Shield Gauntlet. it is a kite shaped shield attached to a gauntlet. it provides a simple +1 AC but does not take up one of your hand slots for two-handed weapons.

i got most of the data but getting it to ignore the hand rule is what is troubling me. if anyone knows how to script this, that would be great.
TaylorBland is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old June 16th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Would it be at all possible for you to attach the .user file you created?

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 16th, 2018, 02:38 PM
You can try to adapt the scripting on the magical shield "Animated Shield". That magic armor allows you to equip an then when activated on the In-Play tab.

The most important line is probably:

Code:
perform hero.assign[Hero.ShldOffOK]
I think if you just put this line into an eval script with the same timing it should allow for an offhand shield but I haven't tested it...

EDIT: It works if you put that code above in an eval script running pre-levels 10000 on a copy of a non-magical shield. I would suggest putting after some doneif statments making sure its equipped and not disabled for some reason.

Last edited by dungeonguru; June 16th, 2018 at 02:42 PM.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old June 16th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Fantastic. This idea also resolves the issues I've had forever with creating a buckler shield.

Thanks

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 17th, 2018, 03:21 AM
I just happened to be lucky enough to remember that similar code existed.

The buckler is pretty contentious with my gaming group - the rules lawyer says it shouldn't provide an AC benefit when someone is using a two-handed melee weapon. On the other hand, they are fine with it being used with two-handed ranged weapons, since historically that's what it's been used for.

The munchkins and power gamers want to be able to get that extra +1 regardless of equipment and do some interesting acrobatics at the table to explain how the buckler would work while swinging a maul or greatsword.

But that's just my table, we also have long arguments about whether a helm should be introduced as a separate item (given that magic helms exist in the DMG), where wearing one makes you resistant to critical hits from slashing, bludgeoning and piercing and gaze attacks, and with greathelms providing disadvantage to perception checks.

It makes for some interesting table talk.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old June 17th, 2018, 05:21 AM
I still have magic helms that grant things like +1 tp AC, Resistance, and similar properties/abilities.

I have my share of rule lawyers, but in the case of a buckler shield, they all were unanimous in allowing the use of the buckler shieldf. Of course most of my players, and my self as a DM, have been playing/running since 1981.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old June 17th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
You can try to adapt the scripting on the magical shield "Animated Shield". That magic armor allows you to equip an then when activated on the In-Play tab.

The most important line is probably:

Code:
perform hero.assign[Hero.ShldOffOK]
I think if you just put this line into an eval script with the same timing it should allow for an offhand shield but I haven't tested it...

EDIT: It works if you put that code above in an eval script running pre-levels 10000 on a copy of a non-magical shield. I would suggest putting after some doneif statments making sure its equipped and not disabled for some reason.
Hello again. this code that was given to me actually worked like a freaking charm. I am not ode literate so i'm kinda scratching my head on this stuff 99.99% of the time. But hey, if you never do, you never learn. thanks for it and have a great day.
TaylorBland is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old June 17th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
Would it be at all possible for you to attach the .user file you created?
When i get it all done, yeah i can. some of the stuff i got from the DND Wiki, and they have a TON of wonderful 5e homebrew stuff that i borrowed for my campaign and to tell you the truth, it helps me learn this whole programming thing, so one step at a time.

most of it is off the Wiki but a few things are my own. for example, i have a few Factions of my own that actually give you some benefits.

ORDER OF THE ROSE: (The first one i did)
the Order of the Rose (also known as Ordo Rosera), has been around for a few hundred years. it was designed originally to keep peace within the lands of man, but its hold spread far and wide to become a global force for good.
gaining access to this Faction grants 3 unique bonuses.
1: Unique Language: Ordo Rosera. A Mixture of multiple languages in only a written form, the language combines the forms of many races and even symbols and numerals to convey messages in a secret code. only those of the order know of how to read it
2: Skilled Feat: The training to get into the order provides 3 skill or Tool Proficiencies or any combination therein.
3: Sun Blade: Each member gains and is attuned to a Sun Blade, the everlasting symbol of the Order.

More will be added and have benefits similar to this format.

I think Joining Factions should have a bit more to them and you can only join one at a time anyway, so it still remains balanced in my opinion. but anyway, once the data is done, i will post it so you all can look at it and give me feedback. have a wonderful day.
TaylorBland is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old June 23rd, 2018, 12:41 PM
Another Question.
As i am building this, i wanted to build some of the Pieces of Eden from Assassins Creed as Magical Items in 5e for this campaign. The Ring and Ankh were easy enough. But my question is for the Sword. In the description of the Sword of Eden, it grants the user enhanced charisma. I want it to grant a +2 bonus to Charisma Score when Attuned. How do i go about getting that? i know it has to be a custom Eval Script but like i've stated my scripting skills are pretty much non-existant. any help would be greatly appreciated as i work towards getting you all some homebrew content. thanks and have a great day
TaylorBland is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 24th, 2018, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBland View Post
Another Question.
As i am building this, i wanted to build some of the Pieces of Eden from Assassins Creed as Magical Items in 5e for this campaign. The Ring and Ankh were easy enough. But my question is for the Sword. In the description of the Sword of Eden, it grants the user enhanced charisma. I want it to grant a +2 bonus to Charisma Score when Attuned. How do i go about getting that? i know it has to be a custom Eval Script but like i've stated my scripting skills are pretty much non-existant. any help would be greatly appreciated as i work towards getting you all some homebrew content. thanks and have a great day
The script needs to run pre-levels/10000

Code:
      doneif (field[gIsEquip].value = 0)
      doneif (field[gIsAttuned].value = 0)

hero.child[aCHA].field[Bonus].value += 2
This script is really simple. The first two lines stop the script if the item isn't equipped or attuned. The third line adds a +2 bonus to Charisma.

The problem is whether or not you're going to allow the item to break the soft cap of 20 for a score. If the sword will allow a PC to go above 20, you'll need to add a 4th line like:

Code:
hero.child[aCHA].field[aMaxValue].value += 2
Normally what I do when I need to make an item, I look for something similar and see how someone else did it in code and try to modify it. Sometimes the item isn't the same type, but the code is usually portable. The snippets of code above come from two different items, one is the belt of dwarvenkind (which adds 2 to CON) and the other from the belt of frost giant strength (which allows you to exceed 20).
dungeonguru is offline   #10 Reply With Quote