Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 16th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monhomri21 View Post
Here.
That error means the check boxes in "Configure Your Hero" are not showing up. This means one of two things:

1) You are loading the character on a computer that does not have the Gestalt or Community Pack installed.

2) You got an error BEFORE this window appeared that causes HL to fall into safe mode and not load any addons.

If its #1 please install Gestalt and Community Pack on the computer/iPad. If its #2 I need to see the error you get when you load/start HL please.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #191 Reply With Quote
monhomri21

Old July 20th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I fixed the problem, I was building a class at some point and it was what caused the error I just deleted the file and I can see gestalt rule now. thanks for your time.
monhomri21 is offline   #192 Reply With Quote
Coyotezcrazy

Old August 16th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Greetings, Programs! I'm having a similar issue to the one reported previously.

I've installed the Community & Gestalt packs, per instructions. The I enabled them in the Hero Options menu. Then, after selecting "Gestalt" as the Character Class, the drop-down menus in the Gestalt tab are returning <null>. This is on a MacBook Pro.

To ensure that the issue is not isolated, I think installed the packs on my iPad. Same results.

Using 5th Ed. on iPad, I do not see Gestalt at all.

Is a recent update from LW to blame?
Coyotezcrazy is offline   #193 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 16th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotezcrazy View Post
I've installed the Community & Gestalt packs, per instructions. The I enabled them in the Hero Options menu. Then, after selecting "Gestalt" as the Character Class, the drop-down menus in the Gestalt tab are returning <null>. This is on a MacBook Pro.
To be clear that if you wanted to make a Fighter/Rogue Gestalt you are doing the following steps:

1) Add a level of Rogue.
2) Add a level of Fighter.
3) Add a level of Gestalt
4) Switch to Gestalt Tab.
5) Select from dropdown Rogue.
6) Select from 2nd dropdown Fighter.

The Dropdowns are selecting from classes you have added to your character. They can not add a class to your character.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #194 Reply With Quote
Coyotezcrazy

Old August 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
To be clear that if you wanted to make a Fighter/Rogue Gestalt you are doing the following steps:

1) Add a level of Rogue.
2) Add a level of Fighter.
3) Add a level of Gestalt
4) Switch to Gestalt Tab.
5) Select from dropdown Rogue.
6) Select from 2nd dropdown Fighter.

The Dropdowns are selecting from classes you have added to your character. They can not add a class to your character.
WOOT! That did it! Many thanks, Programs!
Coyotezcrazy is offline   #195 Reply With Quote
CorzatTheGray

Old August 17th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotezcrazy View Post

Using 5th Ed. on iPad, I do not see Gestalt at all.

Is a recent update from LW to blame?
Also, you won't see a Pathfinder Gestalt community package in the 5E data set on your iPad.

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #196 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old August 21st, 2018, 08:21 PM
First, apologies if this is covered, just point me to the reply if it's there, but I tried an advanced search and couldn't find anything. Gestalting a Monk of any flavor (Base, Unchained, or Talented) or a Brawler, does not properly track levels once Gestalted.

Example 1: Make a level 8 Brawler/Anything Gestalt, and give it Stunning Fist or Elemental Fist, and you'll only get 2 uses per day instead of 8. This part can be worked around via SC's adjustments. However, the Monk issues are not able to be adjusted. See Example 2.

Example 2: Make a Monk (Base) and take the Qinggong Archetype. (Alternately, make a Talented Monk and try to pick the "Ki Power" Talent.) HeroLab will report that your level doesn't meet the requisite, even if it does. This happens when Gestalted, but not on the base class.
I haven't found any adjustments that let you just set "class level <a> to <x>" to fix this.
Eilserves is offline   #197 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:26 AM
My take on it, is that Gestalt is quirky in some ways. It was done by the Community, not by Lone Wolf, so it will break with updates and hopefully be fixed as well as possible. But there are so many moving parts, with so many classes.

For example, if I have one of my players Gestalt any of the Path of War classes, the maneuver system breaks with Gestalt, but not without, somewhere around 7th or 10th level. Every option turns red and tells me that I don't have sufficient initiator level for any of my maneuvers or stances.

Hero Lab will still let me take an option that it thinks I don't qualify for, even if the option is colored red once I take it. Or alternatively, I can use a work-around. Build one side of the build without Gestalt by making multiple characters in a portfolio (I only need to do this with a couple of players who cannot look at their character and say I'm level 15, at level 5 my choices should be... at level 6 they should be...). In that case, I have the actual character Gestalted, but no maneuvers chosen, and then one side of the build with say Zealot as a character and another side of the build with Warlord as another character. The 2nd character only has Zealot levels and only has Zealot maneuvers, no gestalt on it and no other choices made. That allows their maneuvers to show, and to track everything correctly. Ditto on the other side. The main character has all the Gestalt levels, but no maneuvers on either side.

Basically, if you want everything to work, and HL to track things properly, you can use a work-around such as a Monk or Brawler 8, extra character, purely for tracking the Ki Stuff.

Or you can build it as a Gestalt character, and ignore that some of the options are colored red, but still take what you should be able to take.
Ualaa is offline   #198 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old August 28th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Gestalt is absolutely quirky, that's to be expected. I can work with the validation errors for now, however, since this thread asked in the initial post for bug reports, I thought I'd do so.
Eilserves is offline   #199 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old September 7th, 2018, 05:05 PM
It would take a huge amount of code to properly fix all the possible permutations of stacking errors that can occur when Gestalting classes that offer the same or similar features. Due to the way HL handles ability increases, Gestalting classes with similar features will almost always cause those features to calculate incorrectly. To fix it the code would have to track every possible combination of class and account for all the abilities that could be duplicated. Usually, you can fix these kinds of issues with an Adjustment from either Personal or Adjustments tabs to force the ability level to be more appropriate.
Valdacil is offline   #200 Reply With Quote