Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Jay_NOLA

Old May 7th, 2017, 01:19 PM
One problem that I've seen when copying an image from PDF is sometimes the image gets a back blackground or gets messed up in doing a normal copy and paste.

By accident I discovered that Adobe Elements and some other image editors can open a PDF and you can get the image that way and avoid most of the image copy and paste problems that can occur by try to copy and past from a PDF and paste into a image editor. On my over 6 years old copy of Adobe Elements for example if I open a PDF in it I get the option to select a page as an image or to select an image from the PDF to open.

Doing that is the only way I found to get some images without having the mess up, color change, etc. that occurs with using a PDF reader and selecting copy image and pasting the copy into a image editor.

One word of caution is that some PDF are locked and require a password to open you won't be able to do this if the PDF you are wanting to open in a graphics program if the PDF is locked.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 7th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I'm finding a few Gimp skills is really necessary to ensure all pictures go across amazingly.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 7th, 2017, 02:17 PM
That's a great tip for me, Jay - thanks! Until now I've been spending quite a bit of time carefully editing out that black background.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 7th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I find the Windows Snipping Tool to work in most cases just as well as long as there's not text wrap that follows the image.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 7th, 2017, 05:41 PM
If you use Gimp instead AEIOU you can use the clone tool to take the text out easily and quickly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Clone-Tool-in-Gimp

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old May 8th, 2017, 09:20 AM
You only have to snip and remove text/clone, etc. with the method I gave if for some reason you have to open the page as an image cause the program can't just open the image without a problem.

The method I gave is going to make you not have to do any snipping or removing of text if you just import an image from the PDF. If you have to import the page as an image you will have to snip. On my Adobe Elements if you open a PDF it has a little dot I can check to view just the images from the PDF or the pages as images when it is showing me with it can import from the PDF.

One thing to watch out for that is that sometimes the image in a PDF is an image with text layered on top of it. So if you extract the image the text is missing. You'll have to open the page as an image an do a sniping, erasing and cropping. I had to do that with a tavern menu for one adventure.

Also, sometimes depending on the PDF, image used in it, and graphic program you import it into. You may have one or more layers you can select for it show up in the graphics program. I've seen some D&D adventures maps when opened the way I gave have 2 or more layers available when opened in Photoshop. Usually its a the second lawyer lets you show or hide text (room numbers) on a map.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 8th, 2017, 10:14 AM
This is a problem I've run into as well, getting the occasional bit of art for the encounter libraries. Thanks for the tips, guys!
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old May 8th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Yea, the black background is usually due to improper handling of the transparency (most of the time a PDF will store images in JPEG2000 format, an uncommon format of JPG that allows transparency, and can create issues if the CMYK conversion isn't handled properly. IIRC Windows will save these as PNG and sometimes you get the transparency converted to black).

If you would like a free and open source hint, and I suppose a self plug, you can install and use my fork of MapTool @ http://maptool.nerps.net

Even if you insist on using other tools, you can grab and save the images you need (I save them as PNG files). But feel free to explore MapTool for your VTT! Creating your maps is pretty easy (right-click on a map to auto-resize the Grid to match the grid on the map!)

The first example are images pulled from a Bestiary, the second is an example grabbing the Maps from an Interactive Map Folio, (where the PDF uses buttons to turn on/off grid and hide/show GM tags). There can be up to 4 copies of the map, and I extract all 4 (a lot of other programs have trouble extracting these images!)

All image extractions are pulled at full resolution of what is stored in the PDF, so you don't suffer any image loss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example1.jpg (236.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg example2.jpg (230.4 KB, 32 views)

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old May 9th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Before you do all that make sure you do a Google search first. Sometimes I can find a clean version of the image.
ruhar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old May 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Before you do all that make sure you do a Google search first. Sometimes I can find a clean version of the image.
True dat. That is sometimes the quickest/easiest solution...

Hint, if you have crappy version of the image, drag it onto google image search and search via that image, it may yield results...

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #10 Reply With Quote