Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Olmac

Old October 18th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I tried to update Hero Lab today and got an error message. Retry and ignore did not help. Ended up aborting. Hero Lab would not start after that and the icon was changed to a generic icon. So I uninstalled Hero Lab and went and downloaded Hero Lab. The install is failing for the same reason. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Hero Lab is completely unusable on my desk top computer. Attached is the error message I get when I try to install hero lab.

[edit]
Added a second image of the error I was getting when I tried to run Hero Lab (after both the update and re-installs). Seems that for whatever reason the .exe fill was corrupt or something. It would show up as an exe file.

I tried to delete the Hero Lab folder but could not. I did another install and this time I made a new folder c:Hero Lab and installed it there. Now it works.

Hope this helps out anyone that runs into the same issue.
[/edit]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HL Error.jpg (120.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg HL Error 2.jpg (47.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Olmac; October 18th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Olmac is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old October 19th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Is it maybe being blocked by an anti-virus software?

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user
nylanfs is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
PathfinderKevin

Old October 19th, 2017, 11:45 AM
I did the same thing... but now I can't open any of my portfolios.
PathfinderKevin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old October 20th, 2017, 09:17 AM
(removed)

Last edited by Colen; October 20th, 2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Removed bad advice
Roadie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 20th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Please do NOT run the Hero Lab installer with administrator privileges! Doing so may fix whatever issue you encountered, but it will probably just cause more problems later that will be harder to resolve.

Olmac, sorry to hear you ran into problems - it sounds like the existing copy of Hero Lab got corrupted on the disk somehow. Did you try restarting your computer, then deleting the old Hero Lab folder?
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 20th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Please do NOT run the Hero Lab installer with administrator privileges! Doing so may fix whatever issue you encountered, but it will probably just cause more problems later that will be harder to resolve.
Is this a Windows 10 thing? Cause I am on Win 7 x64 and always install with Admin authority for HL. Never noticed an issue....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Is this a Windows 10 thing? Cause I am on Win 7 x64 and always install with Admin authority for HL. Never noticed an issue....
So you right-click the installer and pick "Run As Administrator"? You shouldn't do that with most user installers or applications in the post-Vista era, you should run it normally and let elevation kick in when necessary.

Last edited by Parody; October 20th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 20th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
There's a difference between installing with administrator authority, and using the right click -> "run as administrator" menu option. The latter does things in a subtly different way that can mess things up, because (among other things) it results in files being created that can't be deleted or changed by a process without admin rights - just installing in an elevated process doesn't do that.

I don't 100% understand the ins and outs of it myself, this is just what I've gathered after helping multiple people with issues caused by installing as an administrator.
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 20th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
There's a difference between installing with administrator authority, and using the right click -> "run as administrator" menu option. The latter does things in a subtly different way that can mess things up, because (among other things) it results in files being created that can't be deleted or changed by a process without admin rights - just installing in an elevated process doesn't do that.

I don't 100% understand the ins and outs of it myself, this is just what I've gathered after helping multiple people with issues caused by installing as an administrator.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote