Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Illvatar

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Or is it just down for now. I can's seem to get to it.
Illvatar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I can access it at http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/ - what sort of problem are you having accessing it ?
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Illvatar

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
None now. I just tried accessing it and it is showing up again. Maybe my provider had a glitch.
Illvatar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Does anybody know when the TBD points in the wiki will be available? Or the content will be updated?
tkarn is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Liedros

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I am also interested in this. Just found about this authoring kit and was really amazed by what I saw. I intend to buy a copy of Hero Lab for the authoring kit alone. The apparent complexity doesn't bother me (I am really comfortable with programing languages in general). My only concern is knowing if Lone Wolf is planning on supporting the authoring kit, it seems like the wiki page hasn't received any update for a long time.

Sorry if my english is bad, not my home language. And thanks in advance for any feedback.
Liedros is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
I think I need a "Authoring Kit for Dummies" book.....
tkarn is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
There is a tutorial which walks you through the Savage Worlds ruleset. But yeah, not always intuitive. Do you have specific questions?
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liedros View Post
My only concern is knowing if Lone Wolf is planning on supporting the authoring kit, it seems like the wiki page hasn't received any update for a long time.
Somehow, I completely missed this post when you made it and the new posts brought it to my attention. Sorry about that.

The Authoring Kit is going to be supported as long as the product itself is. Not only are the Savage Worlds and D&D 4E game systems built upon it, EVERY other game system we support is built upon it. All of the data files we create in-house use the same mechanisms. We just document them through the Authoring Kit.

That being said, your observation is correct that we haven't updated the wiki in quite awhile. That's due to two factors: (a) being spread way too thin and (b) very limited use of the authoring kit by users such as yourself. Writing up all the details of every mechanism will take us weeks to complete, and those are weeks that can instead be spent focused on adding new features and game systems that users are clamoring for. Consequently, we've taken the approach of answering questions and explaining things when someone asks how to achieve a particular goal using the Kit. This same philosophy applies to a number of specialized new mechanisms that have been added to HL itself but haven't been documented in the wiki yet because they aren't useful for most game systems.

So please post whatever questions you have. We'll do our best to provide answers and point you in the right direction on how best to accomplish things.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
There is a tutorial which walks you through the Savage Worlds ruleset. But yeah, not always intuitive.
I know the tutorial, but for me it's a little bit confusing (english is not my native language). some graphics about the relations of components, compsets etc. might be useful etc. I know, you have a lot work to do (and you do a good job)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Do you have specific questions?
I did a lot with the d20 dataset for my Arcana Evolved project, but there are some restrictions in the core rules that I have to change but its not possible. So I waanted to do it with the authoring kit, but i don't know, where to start..... And this is my greatest problem. I could not really imagine, what HL can do, to solve my problems. I know how to do it with delphi or qt, but not in HL.

An open d20 datafile would be useful.... (I already voted for that).

Last edited by tkarn; December 2nd, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
tkarn is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Ah... yeah, that would be problematic. I can't help you extensively because Hero Lab isn't my product - Colen and Rob have the majority share there I think, although Matthias is the Pathfinder guy, so he might have some insight as well. Honestly, I was kind of hoping one of them would chime in here.
Duggan is offline   #10 Reply With Quote