Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

charlieluce

Old April 19th, 2020, 08:57 PM
We noticed this weekend that the former behavior of a timestamped backup copy of a campaign character being placed in the account being transferred from no longer seems to be happening. Did I miss that in the release notes? (I've been backing up the PCs in my campaign early & often because some of the players are still getting used to HLO.)

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 19th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Is that stopped working, I don't believe it was intentional. Does it work in some cases and not others? If so, what are the situations where it is/isn't working? Anything that could help isolate the problem would be appreciated so we can get it fixed.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old April 20th, 2020, 01:31 PM
None of the three characters owned by the campaign made automatic copies when transferred. I made outside-the-campaign copies manually, but I thought that I might have missed something in the Release Notes.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 23rd, 2020, 01:13 PM
We did a whole bunch of testing this end, and everything appears to be working fine. Perhaps there's some confusion regarding when this mechanism kicks in, so let me recap things just in case.

When ownership of a character is transferred from a player to the campaign, a snapshot of the character is created in the player's root folder of characters outside the campaign. This is a safeguard against an unscrupulous GM subsequently taking the character away from the player and denying him/her access.

When the reverse occurs, NO snapshot is created. That's because no safeguards are needed. If the player decides to immediately drop out of the campaign and take the character with him/her, the campaign will ALWAYS retain a copy of that character. So the campaign is already safeguarded and no additional (seemingly redundant) safeguards are necessary.

Could it be that you were expecting the snapshot to be created when ownership is transferred from the campaign to the player?

We could potentially add that behavior as a configurable option, but it seems redundant to me.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old April 23rd, 2020, 06:12 PM
We did transfers both ways, and the players insist that no copies were made, but since I'm the GM I really have no way to confirm. I'll double check Sunday after next.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:18 PM
Please do that. All of our tests worked fine. If the server was under load, there might be a delay of a couple seconds before the new character appeared. But it's definitely created as part of the database transaction that transfer ownership. So can't not happen.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote