Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

whtknt

Old April 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I've managed to work my way through all the new Hindrances to be added and, to my amazement, everything works and checks out! However, in adding a new Edge, I've run across a snag that I hope someone can help me with.

The Edge I'm inputting increases the range categories for the user's weapon by +3/+6/+12. I don't know how to accomplish this within Hero Lab. Can anyone offer any advice? I've been relying on similar examples from other Hindrances or Edges, but there is no equivalent for this one.

By the way, I'm in the process of adding Hindrances and Edges from Ultimate Characters Guide (Savage Worlds) (here). How do I get it approved as an official (or semi-official) dataset?
whtknt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Do you want me to move this post into the Savage Worlds forum, so that the people who are familiar with that game system and how its mechanics are coded will see your post? The Savage Worlds files are now community-managed, so the people to ask about adding your content to that will also be in that forum.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 12th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Yes, please.
whtknt is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 12th, 2016, 03:03 PM
You'll probably need an eval script that will adjust any wpShort, wpMedium and wpLong values on an items on the character. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how the syntax needs to go and I don't have time to work it out right now. Hopefully SeeleyOne (who is usually our go-to guy for this sort of thing) will be along soon.
Paragon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM
There's something close in the Common Code thread stickied on this forum that is just the code used for the Mighty Throw edge from Weird Wars: Rome. I can't work out the details for you right now but see if maybe that points you in the right direction and, if not (and if SeelyOne doesn't jump in before then) I'll see if I can work on it tomorrow.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Currently, I have the Eval code as:

foreach pick in hero from WeapRange
if (eachpick.tagis[Weapons.Ranged] <> 0) then
eachpick.field[wpShort].value = +3
eachpick.field[wpMedium].value = +6
eachpick.field[wpLong].value = +12
endif
nexteach

This is based directly off of the "Mighty Throw" from WW Rome, I just changed Weapons.Thrown to Weapons.Ranged. But when I try to test it, I get the error:

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'edgUCCrack' (Eval Script '#1') on line 2
-> Group 'Weapons' not defined

I can't find Weapons.Thrown either, but that doesn't stop WW Rome from working fine.
whtknt is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2016, 10:01 AM
That is because you cannot just make up component names and expect them to mean anything to Hero Lab. You can learn a ton if you make it so that you can right-click on an item that is added to a character (edge, skill, equipment). You can turn this on by doing the following things.

1) Left Click on Develop at the top of the screen

2) Left Click on the top item in that menu, "Enable File Debugging".

3) Right click on an item that you have added to a character. For example, you added a bow.

4) After right clicking, it will make a menu appear. You are interested in its tags so that you can have the eval script look at them. So, let's say that you want your script to look for bows, so you will click on "Show Debug Tags for Bow".

5) This brought up a window that shows the tags.

As a side note, "Show Debug Fields for...." is also very useful. In fact, these are what store the different ranges for the ranged weapons.

WeapMelee is for melee weapons, and you gain these when you click on the "Add New Hand Weapons" on the Armory tab.

WeapRange is for things that you get when you click on "Add New Ranged Weapon" on the Armory tab. This can be further defined as you mentioned in your example. If you do not want to define it further (if you want it to apply to all ranged weapons), then don't. Thrown weapons use the clarification of Weapon.Thrown.

Your original post is not clear. Is it for a specific type of weapon? If so, then do it like the thrown weapon example. You can modify it by the type of weapon, such as Weapon.Bow for bows. If it is for ANY ranged weapon, then take out the if line and the endif lines. Keep the rest.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 13th, 2016, 10:30 AM
It applies only to firearms.
whtknt is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Then it depends on what kind as the data in Hero Lab gets more spread out with the firearms.

If it is only black power, then it is easy as it is WeaponType.Black for all of them.

But if it is modern or futuristic you should add some of them to a character and right-click on them like I said. If you want it to affect more than one kind then the weapon (as there are several different subcategories for modern firearms) then you string them along with + to join them inside the if

foreach pick in hero from WeapRange
if (eachpick.tagis[WeaponType.ModAssault] + eachpick.tagis[WeaponType.Black] + WeaponType.ModSMG] <> 0) then
eachpick.field[wpShort].value = +3
eachpick.field[wpMedium].value = +6
eachpick.field[wpLong].value = +12
endif
nexteach

That is not comprehensive. Add different weapons to a character and right-click as I had mentioned above.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 13th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Hmmm. Thank you for the help, but it appears that I am not going to be able to make Hero Lab do ti without a lot of reprogramming. Simply putting +3 does not work, I have to input the new range, which would mean doing so for each weapon individually.
whtknt is offline   #10 Reply With Quote