Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parody

Old December 28th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Today's Spotlight article brings up these two views. Have you had success using them?

I haven't, mostly because I prefer the lists in the Transitions Pane, but also because I end up with stuff like this:

Link Web.png
(Page 1 of 5)

and

Relationship.png

My guess is that this only works well if your Topics/Articles fit the Express Lane: 10 items or less. I'd like to see examples from more interesting campaigns than my sourcebook/rules one, though.

PS: I didn't add double-ended arrows; I'm assuming they're just single arrows going both ways. You might say it was the "Luck of the...draw." ;)

Last edited by Parody; December 28th, 2015 at 09:58 AM.
Parody is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 28th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Relationship view is not something I've used.

Link web for anything significant in my realm takes forever to render and is pretty much useless.
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I found the relationship view to be a clever idea for which I had great expectations but found to be not of any practical use. Here's one that I posted just over a year ago of the residents of the town of Fairhill based on my interpretation of the module material. I can see that some people like some people and dislike others but I have no clue as to who those people might be.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...G9QcUd1cHBwMDQ

Since relationships are not explicitly spelled in most published material, this isn't really a feature that will ever get used so it's not a big deal except to us world builders. No money rides on this feature....

You know, a tutorial video from LWD showing how to really use this function with both simple and very complex relationships would be so helpful. We're probably all just not getting it. Oh!!! Maybe LWD should start a vlog so they don't have to spend lots of time polishing up screen footage and can just walk us through features casually?
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
In my job I work with software that does a lot of relationship mapping, concept clustering, concept "heat maps" and the like. Most of the time I feel that these things are eye candy to impress potential clients where the investigators doing the grunt work fall back on good old nested text lists and drill-down columns.

I feel the same way about the relationship and link views in RW. Perhaps for visual thinkers these views have value, but I prefer the content links and relationships list in the right column.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote