Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

AceOfSpades

Old June 17th, 2017, 02:36 PM
So, I'm pretty sure this issue has come up before but it is difficult to find anything about it through Google. I am also pretty sure people have filed bug reports about it, as far back as 2012. Here's my problem:

When choosing a favor class bonus, say for the Alchemist class, and your race is Human (or something that counts as Human) and you've taken the feat Racial Heritage (say for Nagaji) then the Nagaji racial FCB for Alchemist should be an option.

It is not an option.

I've tested this with a handful of other races for Racial Heritage and not one of them causes the feat to add the relevant racial FCB to the options list for a given class.

Given that this has been a known issue for at least a year if not closer to 5 years I want to know two things:
Is there a work around available currently and why hasn't it been officially fixed yet?

This is not necessarily a major bug but it is a rather far reaching one that has been around for an inordinate amount of time. Additionally, given that HeroLab is mostly closed source, there is no way for a well meaning community user to push a fix into the build.
AceOfSpades is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AceOfSpades

Old June 18th, 2017, 02:55 AM
So I've found one potential way to fix this. In the Hero Lab editor, when viewing a class, there is a section where you can define which FCBs that class has access to. Similarly this section exists for races as well. This then leads to a situation where each class only links to the FCBs or the core races (there are still racial checks in the FCB things) and your character has to be the race (if not core) relevant to the racial FCB to even have the option.

It seems like a simple fix would be to modify all existing classes to point to all relevant FCBs and let the expression requirement script handle race reqs. Then remove any option of choosing FCBs in the race tab. As this has not happened I assume it is more complex in the back end. I have tried this with the alchemist class (which was a pain as I had to recreate it as a custom class) but then I could choose any alternate FCBs for any race at all. I'm not sure what broke. I am going to test it with a non-supplement class that I can directly edit and see what happens.

Update:
Tried it out with a core class and I ran into the same issue. I also realized that I can't see what Hero Lab is using in the editor with a core class because, when choosing Create(new) to open a class it only copies over parts of the class, FCB not being one of them.
I tried to load in the Paladin class, it didn't carry over the core FCB options, so I bootstrapped all of the FCBs for the paladin class. Save it as a new class, created a character with it and 'lo and behold... I can't choose ANY alternate FCBs. So there also appears to be a greater problem here where custom classes can't access existing altFCB options properly. Or I'm missing something in the editor. Will file bug report for that one.

Last edited by AceOfSpades; June 18th, 2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Update
AceOfSpades is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old June 18th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I'm not sure how this would be done, but if you have the Spheres of Power HL files.

You can create say an Incanter, who is a Dwarf.
The FCB has the dwarf incanter specific option of: +1/6 item creation feat, in addition to the +1 hit point and +1 skill point default options.

So there is a way to add alternate FCB options for custom classes. I'm just not sure how the data authors work their magic.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SalsaBeard

Old December 10th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I just filed another bug for this prior to knowing what the behavioral problem is here.

What it looks like to me is that favored class bonuses for inherited races are not being shown.

For instance, a human rogue shows: +1 HP, +1 SP, +1/6 Rogue Talent.
taking racial heritage of ratfolk doesn't change this.

However, if you create a ratfolk rogue, the options shown are: +1 HP, +1 SP, +1/2 Escape Artist.

This shows the options are present, the favored class dropdown is just not providing inherited values.
SalsaBeard is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AceOfSpades

Old January 15th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Hey it's me the OP!

It's been 3 years and this is still a problem... Who on earth do we notify to get some resolution on this?
AceOfSpades is offline   #5 Reply With Quote