Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

SeeleyOne

Old August 24th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I decided to give Windows 10 a try. While Hero Lab works, I should point out that it will complain and give you some errors when you first load up a data file. That is okay. Just close the program and run it again and it will work. I guess the compiler is having some trouble.

Most of the time the errors that I see are timing errors, but the first time that I used Hero Lab with Savage Worlds after getting Windows 10 I saw a ton of weird errors. I closed the program and opened it again and I did not have that problem again.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 24th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I didn't have any issues with HL on Windows 10 beyond having to do the usual license reassign dance. But I also decided to completely dump Windows after using it for a while (the updates seemed to come almost weekly and all of them required reboots... just annoying.) So I've now gone Linux instead (Ubuntu is what I decided to settle on.)

Of course there isn't a Linux version of HeroLab, but just adding the PlayOnLinux package is generally the best way to run various Windows programs well enough in a form of emulated mode. HeroLab doesn't work for it right out of the box, though, you have to install the winbind packger (sudo apt-get install winbind) and make sure on the install of HeroLab with PlayOnLinux that you select the option to set the version of Wine to use and tell it to get the latest Wine 1.7.50 and that seems to work fine for me. I had to do the license reasssign dance yet again, of course, but it all seems to be working fine now, in case anyone else decides to finally toss Windows out the windows. That now leaves me with only one Windows computer, and that's just for gaming. I'm really hoping Steam Machines knock the console market on its head because if it does enough AAA titles should start getting made for Linux to make it worthwhile to finally dump Windows altogether.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 24th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I find that sometimes the compiler gets full of junk. But I do think that I have a timing error somewhere. I will have narrowed it down to a particular set of data as I broke it into different files to see if I could narrow things down a bit.

<shrug> Still some of the other issues are kind of weird. One time my license settings were corrupted somehow and I had to re-enter the data, but it sounds like you have seen this "dance" before. Luckily it did not complain that I had just put it onto a the same computer again.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 25th, 2015, 01:29 PM
That's actually a bit odd. The upgrade to Windows 10 should have made HeroLab think you were using a new system and asked you to re-register your license (not really that different from when they put out a new update) and if it's been less than I want to say 120 days, but maybe it's less than that (60? 90?) HeroLab will effectively have you open a trouble-ticket with LoneWolf. It's usually not too big of a deal unless you're doing it late on a Friday as they'll usually get to it for you next business day, so a late Friday scenario does mean you get stuck waiting until Monday. Which is really just the "dance" I meant.

In any case, if you didn't have to do that with the Windows 10 upgrade I'm actually a bit surprised by that. I'm pretty sure I had to do it with mine as did another one of the guys in my group that updated their system to Windows 10.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 25th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I did have to put it in again when I changed to Windows 10, but then as it was "corrupted" (maybe it really was, who knows) about a week later it still worked.

SeeleyOne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 25th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (and then had to refresh the install because I tried to get clever with my drivers). I had to do the Hero Lab license transfer (twice) but I didn't have any issues whatever with the program itself, in either Pathfinder or Savage Worlds, and that's with campaign-specific .user files for both systems.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 26th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Sometimes people have weird errors. I think this was my time.

I never did find the timing error, but I did narrow it down because I had chopped the user file that it was in into pieces. I have it narrowed down to a fairly small set of data. The thing is that looking it over there is nothing that should be wrong. I am wondering if somewhere inside that data there is something extra thrown in.

Next week I will install Visual Studio 2015. I had wiped my system before I got Windows 10 because I wanted to start fresh and I did not want to have three versions of Visual Studio on my machine. After that I will look it over outside the editor and see if there is anything odd. I once had something odd appear between a couple of edges.

SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
nyarlathottep

Old August 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Having recently gone from Windows 8 to 10, I have to say the only problem I have had is exactly what zarlor said, having to re-register my license. Other than that, totally problem free

(I wish I could say that about several OTHER programs, grrrrrr)
nyarlathottep is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:59 AM
I did forget to post that I found the problem. Or rather, where it was. I removed it and it had nothing to do with the offending edge. There was some weird thing stuck in the user file. It must have been a saving error of some sort. <shrug>

SeeleyOne is offline   #9 Reply With Quote