Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

CNYGamer

Old August 29th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I would like the ability to add (and subtract) simple grouping categories. As it stands, I believe I'm restricted to just Sources, People, Groups, Places, Things, Events, and Other.
CNYGamer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM
What categories would you add or remove if you could?
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm presently in the process of adding the languages for my campaign world into RW. Languages play a primary role in my campaign, and I would prefer if I could have them in their own simple grouping.

It's not a huge deal. I'm putting them in the Other simple grouping, which works fine.
CNYGamer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 29th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Interesting. I'd normally put languages in the Mechanics section as I treat them as background material in the same way I do religions and nationalities. But it sounds like you are treating languages more along the lines of "political entities" or nations to group people, places and things under?

I love seeing how different people approach their gaming.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
LDD

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Even just starting out, I've wished to be able to create a Simple Grouping. I'd have a Cultures grouping to describe those setting features.

Cultures
- Culture A, B, C...
-- Language
Languages(s) and dialects of the culture
-- Thought
Religion, philosophy, ethos, codes, laws
-- Food
Typical diet; interesting or unique food items
-- Art
Common art forms and famous works
-- Leisure
Sports, games, etc
-- Artifacts
Ethnic cool weapons, characteristic items of manufacture, "tech level"

It seems pretty common in setting materials to have any number of nations, races, polities, subcultures, and so on. This would give a place to put all these kinds of topics.

You could make all cultures "Groups", but then broad cultures of the world get mixed in with story-specific organizations and small bands -- this Mafia, that wizard guild, those adventurers. It seems like it will get hard to sort out. You'll need a lot of scoping tags.

(There's usually a bit of conflict between a hierarchical scheme like the topics, and a tag facility. Anything you can do with the hierarchy you can also do with carefully assigned and scoped tags. But it's usually easier to get it right and to browse if you have a hierarchy. The chief problem with a hierarchy is that complex data rarely falls neatly into one exclusive tree. You usually wind up wanting something to appear in multiple categories and sometimes multiple levels of the tree. Browsing by tags is hard if you don't know the tag ahead of time; the tag list is flat, so they're all equally useful and applicable as far as the UI is concerned -- but not so for someone searching for some information.)
LDD is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Can you not just containerize?

So under THINGS you create a container topic of LANGUAGES and under that you can add subcontainers and subsubcontainers as far as you want and put your various languages in them.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 4th, 2015, 05:50 PM
It appears that this is where they intended you to switch to the "advanced" view that uses Categories instead of Simple Groupings. It doesn't change much for me given how I'm organizing things, but it might work for others.

You can hide all the empty categories in the Navigation Pane Options menu under Empty Group Visibility.

Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 4th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post

So under THINGS you create a container topic of LANGUAGES and under that you can add subcontainers and subsubcontainers as far as you want and put your various languages in them.
This is my recommendation. It allows you to structure anything however you want, as many levels deep as you want.
Joe is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 4th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Advantages
One reason I'd like to be able to make Simple Groupings: big headers make it easy to spot separations. It could be very nice to make custom big headers for browsing purposes.

Disadvantages
The Category preference is less useful for this because you might have multiple Categories that logically fit together. For example, I'm using three different "People" categories that I don't want separated and don't have contained in anything. Their instances are just People.

Also the Category headers are smaller.

Other
And yeah, I probably should have just edited this into my response from two hours ago. :)

Last edited by Parody; March 4th, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
LDD

Old March 6th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Yes. But by that argument, why are there the six special, privileged top-level containers by default? We could have done without them just by containerizing, too.

Filing all containers under "Other" costs you one level of potential description, having to drill down one extra layer for no benefit. The top level categories are valuable real estate for quickly getting to a collection of topics important to the game -- and there's plenty of room on that left hand bar for more such top-level categories. Why not be able to create those, and then the usual hierarchy underneath?
LDD is offline   #10 Reply With Quote