Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Redjack

Old December 30th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I want to alter the details about the various Deities and have options to only display the deities we want. To that end I have:
- Created a .1st file to give me a menu structure.
- "Deleted COM_5ePack_PHB - Deities.user" and replaced it with my own deities file.

I still have Celtic, Egyptian, Greek, and Norse deities I want to suppress/replace. They *appear* to be coming from the data.hlz (binary) file not from .user (ascii) files. Is there a way to suppress/replace those entries?

RW Projects: Shadowrun, Earthdawn, 3x D&D5
Games: D&D5, SR5, Baker Street, Numenera, Alternity, Dresden Files, Earthdawn

Last edited by Redjack; December 30th, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Redjack is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old December 31st, 2017, 05:26 AM
There are a couple of ways to do this, I would suggest not deleting the COM files though as they'll just come back next release anyway.

Simple way:
Create or modify your own .user file, in the editor find the *Hidden tab and then for every deity you want to hide create a New(Blank) entry. Each of these hide a single thing permanently from you without deleting it. Make your own deities.

Harder way:
Create your own "Hide Stock Deities" source via the .1st file. Go into one of your personal .user files and find the *Preclude tab. For every deity you want to hide you create an entry with its thing ID and your source ID.
This means every time you check your "Hide Stock Deities" source on Configure Hero (Ctrl-K) , it will hide the things you selected.
Make copies of all the deities and change the description.

Hardest way:
Since you say you want to overwrite some of the PHB deity information, you can also go the route of replacing the existing deities. In your deity user file when you are in the editor, on the right of a deity entry is a box under the blue buttons that is labelled Replaces Thing ID.
You *could* create a copy of a deity and in that box put the thingID for the original.
Example: You want to replace the text on Akadi (a community god with thingid of dei5CAkadi)
You Copy Akadi and give it a Unique ID (say deiRJAkadi) <- I used RJ for Redjack, you use whatever you've been using.
You then type over the description as you want it and make any changes you want.
To the right in the Replaces Thing ID box you type in dei5CAkadi.
Save/Test.

When you look up deities, the Akadi that shows up should be the one you just edited.

This last way globally overwrites the community stuff

Last edited by dungeonguru; December 31st, 2017 at 05:35 AM.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old December 31st, 2017, 09:51 AM
That worked even better. Thanks for the tips!
Attached Images
File Type: png HeroLabs.png (199.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png HeroLabs-2.png (91.5 KB, 16 views)

Redjack is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 31st, 2017, 09:58 AM
If you want a more advanced version that auto finds all the gods that don't belong to your own custom category see THIS. I wrote that for the Eberron Campaign system in Pathfinder.

It finds all the deity categories other than Eberron and tells HL to hide them in the list. Pretty sure this logic all exists in 5e. But this way you don't have to keep manually entering Thing ID's when new gods are entered.

Just hopefully the community deities all have category tags.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old December 31st, 2017, 01:36 PM
Between the four pantheons embedded in LW code and both usesource & group="explicit" are a mess across the board, it was much easier to simply remove everything, create new entries with new sources, define an explicit value for each pantheon and move on.

I appreciate the code examples though. I've sludged through a number of different examples over the holidays from community code to LW example code. There are a few places I've really like to see an object reference and a few magic functions I've come across that I can't find references for...

In any event, I've finally taken the time to dive in and get my feet wet with HL's editor. For the most part I really do like it.

Redjack is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 31st, 2017, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
Between the four pantheons embedded in LW code and both usesource & group="explicit"
I am not talking about sources or sort tags which is what usesource and explicit tags are.

My code looks at the "Deity Category" DeityCat.? tags. Meaning it builds a list of Deity Category tags that is not Eberron from Things. It then prevents those other categories from being displayed in the list.

This means tomorrow when X person adds god Y to the community pack it is automatically removed. No future programming required.

Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. If just hiding them all manually works great!

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Freewolf

Old January 6th, 2018, 08:23 PM
ShadowChemosh I am interested in doing this very thing. I run an Eberron campaign in 5E, and would prefer to replace every other pantheon since I will never use them. How exactly would I go about using this and creating this block of code.

I am pretty new to the editor and not totally clear on that part.
Freewolf is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 7th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewolf View Post
ShadowChemosh I am interested in doing this very thing. I run an Eberron campaign in 5E, and would prefer to replace every other pantheon since I will never use them. How exactly would I go about using this and creating this block of code.

I am pretty new to the editor and not totally clear on that part.
The link above takes you to the full source code of the script. What I did was created it on a simple Thing which is bootstrapped to a Mechanic. Then the Simple Thing is controlled via Sources to be on/off.

You could also just place it on an Adjustment to get started to make it easier.

The only part of the script you will have to change is the Deity Category code in the where expression. It needs to match to what ever Tag ID you create for Eberron.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old January 16th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I did a version of the easy way, created my own "Hide deities" user file. I've noticed that when I create my own deity categories, i occasionally have trouble making the deities show up where they're supposed to
Enforcer84 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:08 PM
Coming back to thank you guys again. I just started editing some .1st files for my various campaigns and homebrew crap and this looks so much nicer.

The community does a great job and I'm aping it until I've got it down myself.
Enforcer84 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote