Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Imper1um

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm planning on making a DLL to export information and output a special file.

Is it a possibility that I could make an Output to call a DLL Function?
Imper1um is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Imper1um

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Anyone have any information?

Basically, I want to add another 'Export' Option which references a DLL.
Imper1um is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I am nobody official, but I have my doubts that this is available right now. I'm guessing you want the ability to output it an arbitrary file format? As of now, your best recourse would be probably using Perl or a similar scripting language to translate the XML (or text or HTML etc) format to your own format.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imper1um View Post
I'm planning on making a DLL to export information and output a special file.

Is it a possibility that I could make an Output to call a DLL Function?
Technically, you can mostly do this with Hero Lab. However, we haven't documented it anywhere, since we need to also document the file format that is provided as input. The file format is going to be massively changing in V3.7 when we add the ability for users to wholly customize output. So there's no point trying to implement anything like this at the moment.

Once we release V3.7, you'll be able to write your own EXE that will receive a standardized XML format file as its input. You can then generate whatever output you want via the EXE. Your external program will be able to be integrated into Hero Lab via the File->Output Extensions menu.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old September 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM
^_^ I gladly stand corrected.
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Imper1um

Old September 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Technically, you can mostly do this with Hero Lab. However, we haven't documented it anywhere, since we need to also document the file format that is provided as input. The file format is going to be massively changing in V3.7 when we add the ability for users to wholly customize output. So there's no point trying to implement anything like this at the moment.

Once we release V3.7, you'll be able to write your own EXE that will receive a standardized XML format file as its input. You can then generate whatever output you want via the EXE. Your external program will be able to be integrated into Hero Lab via the File->Output Extensions menu.
Kick butt, man. I'll start work on the DLL. So, question, do you have to make it EXE, or does a .DLL (with a reference to a specific interface) work?
Imper1um is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It needs to be a standalone program that Hero Lab will launch. The program receives a filename as a command line parameter.

For a basic idea of how this will work, you can refer to the Authoring Kit documentation for our Army Builder product. Once AB is installed, click on the Authoring Kit Manual link under the Start menu. From the main page, click on the "Writing Custom Extensions" link near the both for a basic overview. For specifics, click on the "Extension Files" link from the main page and then look for "Custom Extensions" near the bottom.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer

Old September 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM
So I'd be able to use this to convert a HL portfolio to a different markup language such as Textile? I'm using Obsidian Portal for my DCA/MnM3e game, and it uses Textile.
FifthWanderer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote