Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Mystic Lemur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 252

Old August 30th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I would have preferred basic basic functionality like character creation and leveling in "Classic" before they started touting the "advanced" features of their new product. Then it would be a carrot to upgrade rather than a stick.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Toblakai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 437

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknowkub View Post
PCGen ahoy ahoy I guess... that's really unfortunate that the two systems (Pathfinder and Starfinder) will be supported by completely separate software packages.
I left PCGen for a reason: It's Crap.

But your welcome to it if you want, HLO is looking great so far, and $2 a month is pretty much nothing. The original hero lab will still get updated with new stuff (just not new systems). I am really looking forward to the collaborative aspects they hinted at, like with starships and loot tracking.

What I really want is a tactical console linked to the players portfolios that are being used, that way when a player casts haste and adds the buff to their character it automatically gets updated in my combined portfolio. I really hope they are heading this way!!
Toblakai is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Noven
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34

Old August 30th, 2017, 12:35 PM
PCGen is not my first choice because it can be clunky, but calling it crap is really a disservice. It is an open source implementation that works well most of the time and is free as in beer and in cost.
Noven is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 412

Old August 30th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I left PCGen for a reason: It's Crap.

But your welcome to it if you want, HLO is looking great so far, and $2 a month is pretty much nothing. The original hero lab will still get updated with new stuff (just not new systems). I am really looking forward to the collaborative aspects they hinted at, like with starships and loot tracking.

What I really want is a tactical console linked to the players portfolios that are being used, that way when a player casts haste and adds the buff to their character it automatically gets updated in my combined portfolio. I really hope they are heading this way!!
+1 times ∞

Yeah if they can go the route of effects in active stance to all portfolios in real time that would be a superb reason for me to go HLO plus that would open the door for a map tool of sorts. I really would love to see HLO become a full-on digital gaming environment as a-lot of the other tools are just single aspects of a greater possible gaming environment. Plus I am having a hard time grasping the application of the other tools for my games, so them going this route would make me just jiggle like jello. xD
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
khaoz
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 36

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I left PCGen for a reason: It's Crap.

But your welcome to it if you want, HLO is looking great so far, and $2 a month is pretty much nothing. The original hero lab will still get updated with new stuff (just not new systems). I am really looking forward to the collaborative aspects they hinted at, like with starships and loot tracking.

What I really want is a tactical console linked to the players portfolios that are being used, that way when a player casts haste and adds the buff to their character it automatically gets updated in my combined portfolio. I really hope they are heading this way!!
Of everything HL has to offer, one of the most significant upgrades are Shadow's Adjustments, which are, so to speak, open source community content. And that's also how PCGen works, you say it's crap because it didn't work for you, and that's a valid opinion.

I stepped away from PCGen, only because I was able to afford Hero Lab at the time and now I'm too invested in HL Pathfinder to consider any other option. But I'm able to do what I need not because of the core of HL, but because of the Community Pack.

I'll try HLO for as long as I can afford it, that's license, content and subscription, it's not only the $2 you mentioned. And in a few countries (mine included) $2 are NOT practically nothing.
khaoz is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
psych777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 362

Old September 1st, 2017, 03:31 PM
so is the current desktop version still going to be supported/updated once HLO comes out? i normally try to avoid programs that force me to be online to use them which sounds like HLO
psych777 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Toblakai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 437

Old September 1st, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych777 View Post
so is the current desktop version still going to be supported/updated once HLO comes out? i normally try to avoid programs that force me to be online to use them which sounds like HLO
They are still going to be adding content to HL for the desktop, they said they wouldn't be adding starfinder to it though.

I have given up on avoiding things that require online connection. Originally I was totally against things like Steam (yes it has an offline mode) and the like.

I subscribe to many online things already as do you more than likely, like netflix, amazon prime, google music. They have download capabilities but that doesn't help much in an internet outage.
Toblakai is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Lonewolf147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 126

Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:46 PM
Shadow, have you been able to add any of the character Theme's? If so, where do I find them? If not, how difficult are they to add?
Lonewolf147 is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,727

Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf147 View Post
Shadow, have you been able to add any of the character Theme's? If so, where do I find them? If not, how difficult are they to add?
All I have put out is the equipment and conversion rules for DM's for Pathfinder monsters to Starfinder rules. Theme's are not needed by DMs and have yet to look at them.

Honestly if I had to do them in Pathfinder I would make them a Trait that bootstrapped the different abilities as Racial abilities. That would be a pretty easy way to get them onto a character and use an existing part of the UI. I would just reduce the number of allowed traits down to 1 from 2 from a script on a Mechanic.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
thistledown
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 58

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I have no interest in HLO, as none of my gaming stores have internet. I am quite disappointed that Starfinder won't be supported on HL and look forward to ShadowChemosh solving that.

I'm also pissed that the droid version of HL they've been promising for years is being dropped entirely.
thistledown is offline   #40 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.