Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Coopernicus

Old March 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I just bought the bestiary package which is awesome, but I can't find the pictures of the monsters... Don't tell me I paid $30 for info and no pics...

Or am I doing sth wrong?

Cheers
Coopernicus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopernicus View Post
I just bought the bestiary package which is awesome, but I can't find the pictures of the monsters... Don't tell me I paid $30 for info and no pics...

Or am I doing sth wrong?

Cheers
No pics.
The artwork in the bestiaries, I believe, are copyright protected so permission would have to be granted from the rightful owner.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Yes it is. Of course you can always buy the multiple Beastiary books for like $39.95 a pop if you want the art.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old March 7th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
No pics.
The artwork in the bestiaries, I believe, are copyright protected so permission would have to be granted from the rightful owner.
Isn't the text also copyrighted as well? Did Lone Wolf only have permission to use the text and system for their software? Seems odd they wouldn't be allowed to use all material from a source unless Paizo specifically said "No Pics!"
ddufour1395 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:46 AM
LW has the license for the information they enter into HL. The pics are not part of that deal.

Having done some license deals myself, they can get sticky and very specific. But o be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of having the image would be. It would increase the size of HL files, and the GM woulnd't be able to show the creature very easily. Just showing the page in the book to the players is a better idea. But thats jusy my opinion.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
LW has the license for the information they enter into HL. The pics are not part of that deal.

Having done some license deals myself, they can get sticky and very specific. But o be honest, I'm not sure what the advantage of having the image would be. It would increase the size of HL files, and the GM woulnd't be able to show the creature very easily. Just showing the page in the book to the players is a better idea. But thats jusy my opinion.
I wasn't complaining on the lack of images. I agree with you 100% here as the images would not really help a DM as only they would see the monster/npc images since it is a character management software and not a virtual table top environment. As long as the descriptor text is there (which it is) that is all any DM needs describe the critters to others.

If they need images, there are many non-copyrighted images of classic monsters that can easily be found using the internet that will match the descriptions.
ddufour1395 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ValaraukarU

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:19 AM
As a GM who uses tactical console and Hero lab at the table, I was disappointed with the lack of images. It makes it more challenging to see who was up in a round or who is still alive during combats. The images allow fast reference that the text doesn't. In most of my set encounters I go and put stocks with images into a portfolio for this reference.
ValaraukarU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValaraukarU View Post
As a GM who uses tactical console and Hero lab at the table, I was disappointed with the lack of images. It makes it more challenging to see who was up in a round or who is still alive during combats. The images allow fast reference that the text doesn't. In most of my set encounters I go and put stocks with images into a portfolio for this reference.
I've never had this issue with the tactical console and this is with large combats with 18+ monsters. The monster names and #'s after are enough to keep track on a VTT as tokens (example token labs for Maptools) when placed have the same #'s after their name. I find it is more important to have images for my VTT than the the combat tracker. Also, when they die during combat, the console has options to remove them from the initiative making combat tracking very easy.

If everyone was diehard for portraits in the tactical console, then it could maybe use a smaller image like in the personal tab for user uploaded images. I still think it is fine without it in the console.
ddufour1395 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddufour1395 View Post
I've never had this issue with the tactical console and this is with large combats with 18+ monsters. The monster names and #'s after are enough to keep track on a VTT as tokens (example token labs for Maptools) when placed have the same #'s after their name. I find it is more important to have images for my VTT than the the combat tracker. Also, when they die during combat, the console has options to remove them from the initiative making combat tracking very easy.

If everyone was diehard for portraits in the tactical console, then it could maybe use a smaller image like in the personal tab for user uploaded images. I still think it is fine without it in the console.

I agree. I use them in my VTT, and since im just putting them in myself, i can go to one of the many free images out there and put them in. Its needed for a VTT, I think its ok with it being missing for the tactical console. The only thing where it could be difficult is if you iddnt know which creature was what.
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ValaraukarU

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM
It is not a big issue. I was just pointing out that as a GM I do like images in the stock monsters because it makes it visually easier for me, in contrast to those who said it was not useful for anyone. I do not use a VTT so Tactical console is my only tracking tool.
ValaraukarU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote