Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

bocephus

Old February 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hello,

I had a question about the HeroLab licensing. When we buy a license, are we licensed for all future updates of the product? What about support?

I ask, because some companies view licensing as for a specific period only.

Thanks
bocephus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM
As best I can tell, the actual license terms do not grant you the right into perpetuity, but people from Wolf Lair have stated that the license does not need to be renewed.
c.f. http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewt...art=15#p639965

The Lawyer's Son in me says that a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on (yes, also channeling Yogi Berra) but I believe them.

Last edited by Duggan; February 8th, 2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Adding codecil.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM
With Hero Lab, you're essentially buying access to the data files for game system X, which then includes the core product with which to use those data files. Think of it like buying razor blades (game systems) with the handle included (the core product), after which you can just buy more blades (i.e. game systems).

So Hero Lab licenses don't have an expiration to them. If we add incremental features to the core product, they are provided as free updates. For reference, we first released Hero Lab over three years ago. All feature updates to the product have always been free during that period.

It's conceivable that we'll release a separate add-on component for Hero Lab in the future that would entail a separate fee. But that would be independent from the core product and offered as an optional purchase. At the moment, we don't have any such add-ons officially planned, although we've got a couple ideas for the future.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bocephus

Old February 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Also thanks for making such a great product! Look forward to seeing Lone Wolf come out with Mac versions as well!
bocephus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM
FWIW, there was another person on the ATT asking about this. You may want to modify the page at http://wolflair.com/index.php?contex...e=buy_hero_lab to indicate that most games do not require extension of licenses.
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent an email to Colen about this issue, so we'll figure something out in the near future.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote