Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

IanDominey

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Rob.

I have started to use the tactical console for the first time (I'm running a war game using the standard Mortal WoD rules) and I've noticed what appear to be a few major problems.

I'll start with Initiative. I have 5 characters in the console. Their stats (for initiative) are as follows :-
Character 1 - Dexterity 3, Composure 3 (init 6)
Character 2 - Dexterity 3, Composure 3, Fast Reflexes 2, Fighting Style Combat Marksman - Shoot First (active) (init 11)
Character 3 - Dexterity 3, Composure 3 (init 6)
Character 4 - Dexterity 1, Composure 3 (init 4)
Character 5 - Dexterity 3, Composure 3, Fighting Style Combat Marksman - Shoot First (active) (init 10)

I have found that the characters with the highest initiative (11 and 10) consistently get to act last. I thought that this was an unlikely situation but certainly within the realms of probability until I decided to start and end combat several times. I ended up with the following initiative roster -
Character 1 - (init 10), must have rolled a four
Character 2 - (init 11), must have rolled a zero
Character 3 - (init 10), must have rolled a four
Character 4 - (init 5), must have rolled a one
Character 5 - (init 8), must have rolled a minus two

Clearly there is something wrong with either the dice roller or the initiative calculator.

Now onto my second problem. The system appears to count the dice pools for firearms incorrectly.

I'll start with the aforementioned 'character 4'. He's supposed to be an Infantry Support role, using a Squad Assault Weapon to help his colleagues.
His stats for using firearms are :-
Strength 4, Dexterity 1, Firearms 4 (specialty machine-guns), No applicable merits, Armed with an M60 (stats as correctly given in Hero Lab are Damage 4, range 250/500/1000, 9 again rule, strength required: 3), Equipment includes a bipod mount (reduces penalties of auto-fire and long + medium range shots by one when the weapon is mounted).

In total, I add that up to be dex (1) + firearms (4) + specialty (1) + equipment bonus (4) = 10 dice. The combat dashboard lists Saco M60: 7 (lethal). Interestingly, if I unlock the character and reduce his strength stat, his dice-pool increases to 8 on the combat dashboard at strength 3 and below.

Character 5 has the following :-
Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Firearms 4 (specialty submachine guns), no applicable merits, armed with an FN P90 (damage 2, armour piercing, strength required: 2)

Dice pool should be dex (3) + firearms (4) + specialty (1) + equipment bonus (2) = 10. The combat dashboard lists FN P90: 11 (lethal)

All of the other characters appear to have numbers that are either too high or too low for what their attributes + skills + weapons should show them.

Are these bugs or have I configured my characters incorrectly?

I can send you the portfolio file if necessary.

Last edited by IanDominey; July 31st, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
IanDominey is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2009, 03:11 AM
I just did a whole bunch of testing and the initiative seems to be calculated correctly for me. Please send me your portfolio so I can test directly with that, since there appears to be something different between your portfolio and mine. You can either attach it to your post or send it to me via email at helpdesk at wolflair.com.

I was able to reproduce the error with the dice pool calculations. It seems I broke things in the last update. :-( All ranged weapons are being treated as if under the effects of the Fighting Finesse merit, which results in the bizarre behavior you cited.

I'll get this latter issue fixed and an update released as soon as I can. I currently have everything massively changed because the Changeling files are only a couple days from being completed. So releasing a fix will entail some effort to cull out the Changeling material properly. I also want to figure out any initiative problem and get that fixed before posting an update.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2009, 03:22 AM
Doh! After I posted above, I thought of another possibility for the initiative and figured out the problem. Due to a timing issue, the *bonuses* aren't being factored into the final initiative total in some cases. This is why you got an 8 for the character with an initiative of 10. His *base* initiative is only 6, so the 8 is valid if the bonuses aren't included.

I'll get an update out as soon as I can with these two fixes. It's going to take a few days before I can get it all sorted out with the Changeling files, though.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
IanDominey

Old July 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Rob, take your time with the fix. I can wait for a couple of weeks for the fixes you've mentioned. I know that many people (myself included) are really looking forward to the Changeling dataset.

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I'll be sure to let you know if I spot anymore bizarre behaviour.
IanDominey is offline   #4 Reply With Quote