Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 28th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Happy to help!
BJ is offline   #121 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 7th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Having recently started using Player Version there have been some learnings. This video covers them.

Realm Works - GM Discussion About Player View

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; December 13th, 2016 at 11:48 PM.
daplunk is offline   #123 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 15th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Hooray for "learnings"!
BJ is offline   #124 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old December 16th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Now that I've had some time to use Realm Works, thanks to the wonderful videos provided by various community members, I'm getting to the point where I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize everything. I know it's a personal preference and what works best for one may not work best for another, but I'm just trying to get a feel for the different ways of going about it as that may open my eyes to something I hadn't tried or knew was available.

Right now I have it laid out as per the adventure book, but that doesn't seem to flow very well for me, it just seems too all over the place. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The other thing I'm wondering about is have any of you changed the default topic templates to work better with the system you use or do you adapt the system to the topic layout? Again, I'm sure this is personal preference, but it's always a learning experience to hear how someone else goes about things and why
mazzy is offline   #125 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 16th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Everyone does things differently. The goal should always be to find a way that works for the way you run your game.

Don't worry to much about where the data is or how you arrange your topics at first. One of the great advantages of RW is the ease with which things can be re-arranged and even refactored if you change your mind about something.

As to customizing topic templates, I'd stick to the default ones till you've got the hang of the program and put some data in. Some people get really hung up over having lots of empty snippets in a topic but really that's no big deal. Players will never see them unless you reveal them and there is a way to remove all the empty ones from a topic if you want.

If you want more detailed advice post a screenshot of what you're doing and describe what you don't like. People will surely give you some pointers.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #126 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 8th, 2017, 11:40 AM
After watching Daplunk's "Managing Merchants" video for at least the fourth time in a couple of months, I finally got the time to think about the organization a little bit more and how I might want to do it for my campaign.

I love the table that J Rob Haring created and your idea for implementation. I did notice that while you would list the cost levels at the shop, the links would go to the same master list that included everything available anywhere and did not show the limits by locale.

Rather than having an article as "For Sale: Blacksmith", I was thinking of breaking it down also by locale. For example, there would be an article for "For Sale: Premium: Blacksmith" that would most likely include everything on the list (except perhaps the bark armour you created and added). There could also be articles for the other locales like urban and rural or perhaps even area specific ones for things like underdark, druid village, etc.

The advantage is that you won't see all the unavailable items and can have more granularity, the disadvantage is that you have to create multiple entries. This might not be a big problem if you do the Premium one first, then copy it and remove what you don't want for the areas where availability is tighter. Another disadvantage is that if you changed a detail on one list it would need to be modified on the rest.

Other options would be to just have a snippet for each of the locales in the same article or to add the locales to the table.

We could even tag the equipment with the locales it is available in, but this seems a tad obsessive.

Last edited by Gord; January 8th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Gord is offline   #127 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 8th, 2017, 12:43 PM
You know what... that's such an obvious improvement. Great idea!

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #128 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 11th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Morning all... I lashed out for a Syrinscape subscription so here's a video briefly showing how I use it with Realm Works. I'm converted... Syrinscape is my solution of choice for audio now.

Realm Works and Syrinscape

100 subscribers! B)

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #129 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 11th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I'm converted... Syrinscape is my solution of choice for audio now.
Hard to not like it once you use it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #130 Reply With Quote