Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Brolthemighty

Old September 5th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Alright, so I'm working on an Epic Boon currently that does multiple things. Some of it, I've already figured out...and some of it's being tricky. It breaks down thus:

- On activation, player reduces maximum hp by total level
- On activation, player's Eldritch Blast cantrip turns into Hellfire Blast
- On deactivation, player's max hp returns to normal, but no healing takes place (leaving current hp where it was)

I have the max hp thing using an Eval:
Post/10000

~ If we're not shown, just get out now
doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)

if (field[abilActive].value <> 0) then

~Reduce our HP
herofield[tHP].value -= #totallevelcount[]
endif

I've bootstrapped the spell, but can't get it where it only appears when activated. I even had to add fields to make it show as a Racial Spell to make it show at all....which I can't figure out why. Any help? I can't find any way to finish this up. Is there a way to make the spell (Hellfire Blast) replace Eldritch Blast in their list on activation? Right now I'm just opting to add it to their list of cantrips available.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; September 5th, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 8th, 2020, 08:13 AM
So, trying to break down the questions:

1. How do I hide the bootstrapped spell until activated?

On your bootstrapped spell you can set a conditional that looks for the activation field.

The conditional will be something like: fieldval:abilActive <> 0 and your timing should probably be sitting in First/500 on this conditional.

I think an example of this is in the UA Mystic file where the weapon wSoulKnife only shows up as a weapon when the Soul Knife ability is active.

2. Hiding the original spell/Replacing the spell in a class list.

Spells are odd in that they are "orphans" until you bootstrap them or add them through a portal. Most that are bootstrapped through feats and boons usually get placed in the racial area since they thematically can belong there.

But, when you add spells through the normal way (Wizard Spell tab) it adds a couple of fields to the spells to make them show up in the proper lists. Namely the following tags seem to be the most important:

KnowMySpl.spellID
KnowSpell.spellID
SpellSort.cHelpXXX
SpellType.cHelpXXX

So in order to make a spell show up in the Wizard Spell List it probably needs to have at least SpellType.cHelpWiz added to it.

So one way to try to do get it in the right list would be to make sure your boon spell gets the right tags added on either in a script or on the bootstrap itself. This would eliminate your need to make it a racial spell

A harder second part would be to hide the existing spell, which you can try to do by pushing the Helper.Disable or Helper.Obsolete tags on it. I'm not sure if this won't generate an error with how many cantrips you have/can learn, so you might also need to pass Helper.Free to the boon spell for it to not count against the max number of cantrips. EDIT: I think there is also a tag called Hide.Spell that might be something worth playing with.

I can't find an example of where someone has done this, so I'm kinda making some educated guesses as to what I might try.

Last edited by dungeonguru; September 8th, 2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added a tag in explanations
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old September 8th, 2020, 11:04 AM
I’ll try this all out, thank you for breaking it down for me!

Edit: Alright so the first part worked great! Shows up in the spell list when the ability is Active. Perfect. I couldn't figure out the second part, with how to push tags to a spell that's not part of the ability/function. I'll keep trying to fiddle with it though. I really appreciate the help. This gets it at least workable, even if not completely finished.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; September 8th, 2020 at 01:44 PM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #3 Reply With Quote