Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TheQuietOne

Old February 12th, 2017, 11:23 AM
I find it quite annoying whenever I have to use a consumable item (arrows, acid flasks, potions, scrolls, etc.) I am first marking how many items I use in the "In-Play" tab during combat, then in order to get rid of those items I have to go to the relevant tab, sell for "0%" the correct number of those items, then go back to the "In-Play" Tab and reduce the counter by the number of items used. It is a real pain and slows down play and resource management.

I would like some sort of button on the "In-Play" tab (maybe for each consumable item line) that I could just hit to reduce the item count by 1 or however many items I have in the counter. Reducing it by 1 might work better because I could use the counter for recoverable items such as arrows.
TheQuietOne is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 13th, 2017, 12:21 PM
What game system? Each game system is totally different. Best to post in the game specific forum.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 13th, 2017, 02:03 PM
I could get behind this for a +1 for Pathfinder.

So, you have 3 potions of cure serious wounds, you use 1 (or say you use all 3). Could we add the X button next to the ? on the In-Play tab to mirror the behavior from the Gear/Magic tab?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 13th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I could get behind this for a +1 for Pathfinder.

So, you have 3 potions of cure serious wounds, you use 1 (or say you use all 3). Could we add the X button next to the ? on the In-Play tab to mirror the behavior from the Gear/Magic tab?
Pathfinder already has trackers for Potions. If you group them together you get a tracker for all three.

Again for Pathfinder in the Community Pack is an adjustment to totally turn off the tracking if you wish. Even has adjustments for turning on trackers for say Scrolls.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old February 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Pathfinder already has trackers for Potions. If you group them together you get a tracker for all three.

Again for Pathfinder in the Community Pack is an adjustment to totally turn off the tracking if you wish. Even has adjustments for turning on trackers for say Scrolls.
I don't believe he was asking for a tracker... (as it already exists)

More of an easier way to "delete" potions. Lets say you used all 3 potions of that stack. You now have to go to your Magic tab, find and delete that stack.

Personally, at the end of a session, if I've used 4 out of 7 potions, I like to delete 4 from that stack so I don't accidentally reset that stack or add to it via in-play tab. So being able to edit/delete part of the "stack" from the in-play would be a nice-to-have.

Not a major deal, but if it was a quick development hit, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:10 PM
In Pathfinder, would a "Remove Used Gear?" checkbox on the Night's Rest button work?

So if that was checked when Night's Rest was clicked, anything that's set as "used up", like a stack of arrows or a stack of holy waters, or the charges in a wand, it would figure out how many charges/items had been used from that item, delete that number from the item's count/max charges, and reset the tracker so that none of the new, smaller stack are currently used up.

When you're handling the night's rest seems like a good time to do other bookkeeping things like this - if you haven't retrieved arrows from the battlefield by the time your character rests, it's pretty much too late to get them now, and it's probably been enough play time since the combat that mistakes like "oh, wait, I did throw a third alchemist's fire in that last round" have been caught.

Last edited by Mathias; February 15th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:20 PM
A further question on that topic - would people want this integrated into the existing night's rest - if the existing "Reset tracked abilities?" box is checked when that button is pressed, gear that can be used up gets the delete treatment I described in my last post?

Or can you think of situations where you'd want to commit your changes to permanently used up items without resetting the normal abilities, or you'd want to hold off on committing your changes to permanently used up items but still reset the normal abilities?

If we can avoid adding a second checkbox to the night's rest form, that's some space we can save.

Last edited by Mathias; February 15th, 2017 at 03:29 PM.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
A further question on that topic - would people want this integrated into the existing night's rest - if the existing "Reset tracked abilities?" box is checked when that button is pressed, gear that can be used up gets the delete treatment I described in my last post?

Or can you think of situations where you'd want to commit your changes to permanently used up items without resetting the normal abilities, or you'd want to hold off on committing your changes to permanently used up items but still reset the normal abilities?

If we can avoid adding a second checkbox to the night's rest form, that's some space we can save.
See I don't like removing stuff just because I used it. Often when back at town or such it reminds me to "re-fill" such things as potions or alchemy based items.

If you don't want to add a check box can we get a tag that an Adjustment can add to stacks to "prevent auto nights rest removal"?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
So if that was checked when Night's Rest was clicked, anything that's set as "used up", like a stack of arrows or a stack of holy waters, or the charges in a wand, it would figure out how many charges/items had been used from that item, delete that number from the item's count/max charges, and reset the tracker so that none of the new, smaller stack are currently used up.
Wands changing charges I think would make my players happy...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 15th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Mathias' suggestion would work for me.
Perhaps a configuration option "Include used consumable maintenance in night's rest update" would help let those who want it use it and those who don't, not?

As for ShadowChemosh's point, yeah, I do the same .. I tend to "re-fill" up to a normal inventory level.

There difference, I think, is things like wands normally cannot be re-charged (there are rules for staves, though, as I recall)... so that's simple. Potions.. easy re-filling would be nice.. especially if it took off the money, and when used pro-rated the encumbrance based on used/remaining. Again, that last might need a preference setting, or at least to be aware of options to ignore encumbrance.
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote