Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vornmusion

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I was speaking hypothetically, sorry I wasn't clear.

As a general rule, everything is speculative to some degree until it's actually in your hands in a shipped version of the product. Even something the dev team really wants and is actively working hard on could technically fall through if big enough complications arise.

I'm hesitant to ever say we are going to do anything, because I can't see the future. As development progresses, you discover lots of things that weren't at first apparent. Maybe whatever it is is technically unfeasible and we need to approach it a totally different way. Maybe it's technically feasible but prohibitively costly in some way. You won't know until you get there in most cases, so promising in advance is making a promise we don't know we'll be able to keep.

That said, it generally becomes more and more probable the more the dev team focuses on it, so things we tell you we're actively working on are likely to be delivered.

So to answer your original question, we are thinking about possibilities of how we would handle this issue, but aren't necessarily planning anything yet.
Thank you for the taking the time to reply. You've cleared everything up for me on that front. I just didn't want to tell my players about it and speak in absolutes. Gotta keep expectations realistic and all.

Another question, if I may, as I'm not sure where else to ask this: Is there a central thread or other place to ask general questions about Realm Works current and future functionality? Not requesting the function, but asking if it exists (either internally or perhaps only in beta) or could exist and how it works if either.

For example: I'm curious as to whether or not Realm Works currently has some kind of general chat functionality. I remember reading in one thread or another that the beta testers had access to the version of Realm Works that's intended to work with the Player Version (or will soon, at the time of that post), and that it has PM functionality (or that it was planned to be added; it was a late night and the comment was completely off-hand so forgive me for not remembering specifics) so as to allow the GM to privately communicate with players. Does this mean there is already some kind of central "chat box/message area" function, or is it PM-only at the moment? If the latter, what are the exact specifics of PMing? Does it allow for multiple people to be involved in the PM at once in a manner similar to most forums? Will Realm Works keep a log of the conversation so I (and/or the player) can look it over at some later date?

That's a genuine question of mine, but the first question is where would I ask it? I could make a thread for the question I suppose, but that feels sloppy to clog up the forum with threads for every little question I may have.
Vornmusion is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 4th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornmusion View Post
That's a genuine question of mine, but the first question is where would I ask it? I could make a thread for the question I suppose, but that feels sloppy to clog up the forum with threads for every little question I may have.
Personally: making individual threads for each group of closely related questions (with a descriptive topic) is the best way. Things are less likely to wander all over the topic spectrum and it's easier to search for answers to similar questions if there aren't fifty different questions being asked in each thread.

In general: ask questions in this forum, ask for specific features in the other one.

Parody is online now   #52 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
It looks like you have a series of related questions, like Parody mentions. I would prefer that you create a new thread to ask about this. That way others who have similar questions will be able to find it and the answers more easily than diving 6 pages in to a thread that seemingly has nothing to do with it.

Just thinking about how I would answer your question, the responses and possible follow-ups definitely deserve their own space. Feel free to drop a link to it in here though, so if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, they know where the answer is!

Last edited by Joe; August 5th, 2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Additional info
Joe is offline   #53 Reply With Quote