Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Zilthy

Old November 30th, 2018, 05:52 PM
One of my groups just switched to Checkpoint advancement as described in Xanathar's Guide to Everything (And also now the official Adventure League system).

I have this working. It was easy enough to implement, I just made a replacement for Standard XP under Mechanics and changed the values from XP to Checkpoints, and then created a .1st file and entries to attach it to.

Is this something that should be added to the community pack? I am not a contributor (And not sure I have the time to be, although if I do, I surely would) but I would gladly share my work on that if there is a desire/need for it to be folded in.
Zilthy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
wynlyndd

Old December 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM
I see no one has answered you yet, and I just barely started using HL for 5E, but I would welcome a working system to track Adventure Checkpoints, Treasure Points, Downtime, and Renown. The only 5E character I am playing IS an Adventurer's League character.
wynlyndd is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old December 13th, 2018, 12:13 PM
I don't play Adventurer's League so I am not sure on this, but do you mean the Milestone system?

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
The_Traveller

Old December 13th, 2018, 12:30 PM
The milestone system works fine for the leveling part. Personally I use a website to track both DM and player AP/TP then just do a milestone advancement in HL.

The milestone and checkpoint are the same thing.
The_Traveller is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old December 13th, 2018, 12:32 PM
kk. Then you can turn on the Milestone option in HeroLab by going to:

Character tab ? Configure Hero > Advancement Speed > Milestone Advancement.

Mergon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zilthy

Old December 25th, 2018, 05:41 AM
@Mergon this is defined in Xanathar's Guide to Everything on page 173.

Checkpoint system is a variant rule (Required for AL now). Instead of XP, a character advances based on checkpoints.

At levels 1 - 4, 4 checkpoints. At levels 5 and up, 8 checkpoints.

@Traveller they are definitely not the same thing. You even note that you are tracking this on an external website, then using the milestone system (as a workaround).

Last edited by Zilthy; December 25th, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
Zilthy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old December 25th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Then, not being a big fan of AL, thus not keeping up to date on its rules, I've never heard of Checkpoints before now. Sorry.

Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 25th, 2018, 10:55 PM
I hate how people are using the terms "Milestone System" when referring to Advancing in levels without XP... it's confusing. The DMG says Milestones are XP awards, with major milestones being equal to earning a hard encounter's XP value for your level and minor milestones being worth an easy encounter's XP value for your level. I think this is confusing because I'm used to awarding milestone XP bonuses.

Personally I know nothing of Adventurer's League, other than season 8 brought significant changes to the treasure system.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
The_Traveller

Old December 26th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilthy View Post
@Mergon this is defined in Xanathar's Guide to Everything on page 173.

Checkpoint system is a variant rule (Required for AL now). Instead of XP, a character advances based on checkpoints.

At levels 1 - 4, 4 checkpoints. At levels 5 and up, 8 checkpoints.

@Traveller they are definitely not the same thing. You even note that you are tracking this on an external website, then using the milestone system (as a workaround).
I do use the base checkpoint for advancement in HL because I simply din't have the free time to try and code what was needed. I had been using a website to track my AL log because it was easier and i could produce an AL logsheet as needed. I also need to track DM rewards and apply them so i made sense.

Yes the milestone system is different from the AL advancement point(AP) process. However it can be used as is for simple AP tracking. The DM goes, you've reached a milestone and either says you've leveled or you haven't. If you are using AP, the DM says, you get this much AP and you see if you leveled or not and check the little box.

For AL play you would still need an AL log sheet as there are times when a DM will ask to see it. I've had to do it a time or 2 some visiting players at our FLGS where there was some question as to how some items were squired. I've also seen a DM call at Gencon and had the player roll up a new character because they didn't have a log sheet (the character in question had better gear at Tier I than most Tier IIIs).

It would be a nice to have, but there are higher priorities for the community as there is a perfectly valid work-around already built in.

Last edited by The_Traveller; December 26th, 2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: edited for language and the run in the allotted time.
The_Traveller is offline   #9 Reply With Quote