Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Carpesimia

Old October 9th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Hi,

So I'm trying to add a familiar to my character in hero forge, but its not giving me all of the options. In the spell description, it says I can have a Lizard, but when I add a familiar, Lizard is not in the races. As a matter of fact, the spell lists 15 options, but there are only 9 options in the dropdown when choosing he race of my familiar.

Am I missing something?
Carpesimia is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 9th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I don't think they have all been added.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Carpesimia

Old October 9th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I don't think they have all been added.
If that's the case, it's cool. I'll just mark it out on the printed sheet. I thought I was doing something wrong only to have a partial list.
Carpesimia is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 9th, 2017, 05:45 PM
That's a pretty easy fix, I opened the ticket up in github to get it started. Basically, the SRD creatures that can be familiars need to have the CompIs.Familiar tag added - we can do this on the community side with the Extend functionality.
dungeonguru is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Freewolf

Old November 20th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Does adding this tag need to be done in the .stock file or the data file.

I am trying to add a pseudodragon as a familiar. I can find the stock file but I cannot find where it is in the data files.

How can I find where a creature is in the data files?
Freewolf is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old November 21st, 2018, 05:04 AM
It has to be done at the .user file level for the community to do it, the .stock files point to and grab their information from both .user files and for the SRD monsters one of the data files encrypted/zipped by LW.

So depending on the creature, if it is a community creation we just add the tag to the monster directly in the .user file Race. If it is a LW creation, we can extend the tag by going to the *Extend Thing tab in the editor and creating an entry to add the tag to the thing that needs it. I think some of these extends are in the "in development" .user files for the community.

You can however create your own .user file and extend the tag yourself.

Open the editor, create a new file. On the General Section look for the sub-tab labelled *Extend Thing.

On that tab do a New(Blank). You'll notice that the sections above will show ? in the fields. Hit the Find Thing button and look up the monster you want to make a familiar. After you select it you'll see that Thing Unique ID is now set to the unique ID of the creature. Type over the question mark in Group id with CompIs and type over the question mark in Tag id with Familiar. Make sure you copy these exactly as typed, the capital letters are important.

Hit the save button.

Hit the test now button.

You should be prompted to save the file. You can name it my_familiar.user or whatever makes you remember what it's named.

The familiar list should be expanded with that one monster now, if it doesn't you may need to reload HL.

If you have an iPad, you need to do this on a PC and then transfer the files over - I think the instructions have been provided in other posts - I don't have an iPad so am not that familiar with the process.
dungeonguru is offline   #6 Reply With Quote