Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vargr

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I, too, long for all the features that we do not yet have.

And while longing I sometimes forget all that I have already gotten.

I have finally found a system that allows me to work on my world and my campaign in an easy way without having to worry too much about structure (RW handles it by itself more or less). It is actually fun developing my world.

In short, people tend to forget that RW does what no other software does, it does it well - in fact so well that people forget it and just focus on the things that it does not do - yet.

So I am with ruhar on this one. Be careful not letting the frustration get the better of you (I have to remind myself of that too once in a while).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; August 5th, 2016 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Silly spelling mistake
Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 5th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
I'm also a bit disappointed. I want to use the campaign i'm dm'ing for friends with my kids, but there is no way to copy it.
Tempted to look for alternatives.
I'm constantly looking at software that will enhance my game prep and play. There just isn't anything out there that meets my needs like RW.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old August 5th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Pollution is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
............ (did the players REALLY have to be included in the survey that skewed the priorities? ;-) ..........
To Quote Rob's Quote...
"THIS" ... or perhaps the now more infamous "Soon"

As for myself, I have repeatedly asked this same question and it still amazes that LW can't see the error in having Players casting a vote on a tool primarily designed for DMs... If there was no "realm" created in RW there would be NO NEED for a "players version".

And to then hide behind a flawed polling with .. "well that's what the "public voted"" is simply without good merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
............Also, think back two, three, five years ago on goals you had set. Did you accomplish all of them? On time? I'm just saying...
Rob Quote #2.. the end user simply don't understand the complexities of what it takes.. that's why we can't convey when it will happen.

Again, many have repeatedly asked this, with the LW response, "hey we are working hard..."
Great, glad they are... but there comes a time when the customer voice should be addressed with REAL deliverables.

As MNB and others have said, I too am always on the lookout for new softwares to improve my gaming table's experience... that is what led me to RW to begin with, via HeroLab... Both, unfortunately with all their collective warts, still have the possibility of being the standard.

My apologies to Liz, that I would resist the urge to post on the RW side in critique. But since this thread and the fact that the SECOND QUARTER of 2016 has now came and went (no surprise), I don't think "early 2016" is in the picture any longer and even her departure for greener fields has caused me to pick up the banner once more.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I'm hoping the next survey captures GM vs player and whether person has purchased. And I'd really like each question on the survey to have a number of "widgets" assigned to it, where a widget is a vague idea of how much time/effort each survey question is estimated to be. And by widgets, I mean just an abstract difficulty or timeframe to give us a sense of what to expect. Perhaps give each person a number of widget points to make final choices with.

It would be nice to group questions by how many months/years it will take to accomplish them based on current estimates.

It would be fantastic to group questions by contingencies -- kinda like skill trees in games. Show the big end goals and what it'll take to get there. It's easier to swallow a long development time if we can see that in order to implement X Lonewolf needs to first do A through W.

I have to wonder whether the voting would have fallen the way it did if people understood how much time was necessary to accomplish what was voted for. I bet knowing the length of time would impact the next voting to create more realistic expectations.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 5th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'm constantly looking at software that will enhance my game prep and play. There just isn't anything out there that meets my needs like RW.
That depends on what features you want. I want the ability to print what I write. There are many things out there that meet my needs better than RW.

Right now, I'm using RW to run RotRL, but I already have that in printed form. But for the stuff I create, I will use anything else. Word, OneNote, Scrivener, Evernote. Because, hey, look, I can print!
EightBitz is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 5th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
That depends on what features you want. I want the ability to print what I write. There are many things out there that meet my needs better than RW.

Right now, I'm using RW to run RotRL, but I already have that in printed form. But for the stuff I create, I will use anything else. Word, OneNote, Scrivener, Evernote. Because, hey, look, I can print!
Well, sure. If I *needed* to print or *needed* to export, I wouldn't be using RW. I run a single campaign from RW, for a game I run from my home, and it has served me well. After HL started to support 5e, the RW&HL combo have been a great set of tools for me. I don't know that I would want to DM without them.

I am a heavy user of Evernote for both business and personal use, including storing various gaming material. I've looked at Aeon Timeline, Onenote, Wikis, Google Drive, etc. and I like RW because I don't have to juggle multiple tools. All the stuff for my campaign are in one place.

I thought I needed calendars, and almost asked for a refund during the money-back period after realizing the demo video I saw was showing a feature not yet released. Calendars have become much less important than I had wanted them to be in my campaign because of this, but I've gotten over it. Calendars are now a nice to have than a must have and I'm more interested in export and print, but I'm still putting hours of time in RW every week because nothing else comes close to meeting my needs for campaign management.

MNBlockHead is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Yikes, AEIOU... that would be cool...but the amount of time to design and digest responses from such a survey would seem to be enough to develop some new features instead.

If I were RW, I would keep it simple. I would have a separate questionnaire for each edition, player's and GM's. The first question on both should be:

1. Do you own a copy of RW?

If not, I would have some questions asking why they have not bought it. What features are keeping them from buying it? Give some options based on commonly cited reasons, but allow respondents to fill in their own answers.

I would expect the number one reason for most GMs not buying RW will be lack of printing and exporting capabilities. Inability to reuse/copy realms would likely be number 3. For players, it would almost certainly be "my GM doesn't use it." Nobody will buy the players edition if they don't participate in a came where their GM is using it. If the survey answers bear this out then GM responses and requests should be weighted accordingly.

If you do own a copy, next question:

2. Do you actively use RW?

If not, why?

Again, I'll bet you'll see the same reasons those who have not purchased the game will give for not buying it. Printing, export, my DM doesn't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I'm hoping the next survey captures GM vs player and whether person has purchased. And I'd really like each question on the survey to have a number of "widgets" assigned to it, where a widget is a vague idea of how much time/effort each survey question is estimated to be. And by widgets, I mean just an abstract difficulty or timeframe to give us a sense of what to expect. Perhaps give each person a number of widget points to make final choices with.

It would be nice to group questions by how many months/years it will take to accomplish them based on current estimates.

It would be fantastic to group questions by contingencies -- kinda like skill trees in games. Show the big end goals and what it'll take to get there. It's easier to swallow a long development time if we can see that in order to implement X Lonewolf needs to first do A through W.

I have to wonder whether the voting would have fallen the way it did if people understood how much time was necessary to accomplish what was voted for. I bet knowing the length of time would impact the next voting to create more realistic expectations.

MNBlockHead is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Heck, Liz could easily whip up those survey items before she had her morning coffee. I'm sure our new person could do it in a day or two.
AEIOU is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old August 6th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Pollution is offline   #20 Reply With Quote