Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

adzling

Old November 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Hi, maybe I missed this somewhere in the interface but is there a way to default to collapsing all topics in the sidebar that holds the people, groups, places sections?

It would be best if Realmworks remembered when you collapsed an item, but the interface doesn't seem to like to be helpful like that.

thanks
adzling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 12th, 2015, 11:11 AM
I think you want this suggestion thread. :)

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Nope. Lot's of requests regarding this though. I really wish the default was to have everything, the categories and the groups, collapsed by default. I don't even want to have it remember the last state. Just collapse everything.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Ugh, I was kinda hoping there was some weird non-intuitive and hidden checkbox that had the app remember the last state the folders were in.

At the risk of being banned again the interface in Realmworks really needs some love, it sucks.

Which is a pity because it's a highly useful tool that could be a lot better with some thought and a modern interface.

Ah well.
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2015, 12:47 AM
We added the <ctrl+-> keyboard shortcut in the big update last month. This will collapse the entire tree for you. No, it's not a configurable default, but you can collapse everything anytime you need it with a single keystroke.

You'll find this feature on the Options menu atop the navigation pane to which it applies. The keyboard shortcut is right next to the option. And you'll find this new option pointed out in the release notes.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 13th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the pointer Rob I'll check it out.

Wish Realmworks would save the state of the folders when you save the realm, it's a no-brainer imho.

Can't wait for the web-view, let's hope it's not seriously gimped!
adzling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
Wish Realmworks would save the state of the folders when you save the realm, it's a no-brainer imho.

Can't wait for the web-view, let's hope it's not seriously gimped!
It seems that you haven't thought through all the technical implications of things like custom views and a number of other aspects of the product that quickly get complicated and expensive (for storage and handling).
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 13th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Our business switched email systems from one that was amazingly user-unfriendly to one that users rave about this last spring. Now that we've had a few months to settle in, folks are finding that while the old system was ugly as sin, it had power under the hood. The new one...is a pretty face but beyond that, it's amazingly shallow and a nightmare to administer. Users are already talking about the good old days.

Stay your course, Rob. Make a powerful product first.

Serious UI design needs to wait until after the web version is released and ironed out because major systems are still evolving. I hope we are keeping you appraised of the biggest UI issues, but we understand (and expect) that they will be addressed when they make sense.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 13th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Well saving folder states in the side bar can't be a technical challenge....so I guess your comment was re: web-view?

Regarding the web view I have no clue as it's not at all clear to me what capabilities it will have or omit on launch.

I'm just hoping it's useful and not a waste of time like the player edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
It seems that you haven't thought through all the technical implications of things like custom views and a number of other aspects of the product that quickly get complicated and expensive (for storage and handling).
adzling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 13th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Well, our mileage obvious differ.

As I personally have no use for the web version (based on how I understand it), the player edition is way more useful (for me).

It is not always easy to produce something that all agree with :-/

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote