Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Question 1: An option selects a child unit - is it possible to have the option count be the model count?

Question 2: I would like to set one of the stats on the child unit to equal the option count/child unit count (I already have the left side of the equation working - I can set the stat to any value I want, I just can't figure out how to reference the option count).

In case there's a better way to accomplish this, I'm modeling my weapons as child units so that I get detailed stat lines, and I would like to display the number of shots purchased on the weapon itself.
Mathias is online now   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
At 04:01 PM 2/17/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Question 1: An option selects a child unit - is it possible to have the option count be the model count?

Question 2: I would like to set one of the stats on the child unit to equal the option count/child unit count (I already have the left side of the equation working - I can set the stat to any value I want, I just can't figure out how to reference the option count).

In case there's a better way to accomplish this, I'm modeling my weapons as child units so that I get detailed stat lines, and I would like to display the number of shots purchased on the weapon itself.
Since the model count drives most everything else in AB, I don't think there's a reasonable way to have an option selection count drive the model count of a child unit. The only way I can think of is to have options on the weapon that modify the model count of the weapon. So you would need to either move the options to the child units (probably a poor design) or you'd need to have hidden options on the child unit that use live tagexprs based on tags assigned by the parent unit to determine how to modify the model count of the unit. That sounds pretty ugly to setup and manage.

Since all you want to do is display the number of shots purchased, you're probably better off using a quick and dirty solution. Use a script on the child weapon unit to pull the count from a stat on the parent unit and then just modify the NAME of the weapon unit to include that count. This should be easy to do and should yield the same effective result. The only difference is that the count gets put into the name instead of being put into the model count column. And the amount of work is FAR less.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote