Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

TCArknight

Old April 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've been playing around with various things in the editor, but one thing I haven't found is how to create a separate source setting for Cortex. I'd like to do both a) Add a source as a subset of Serenity and b) add a setting on the same level of Cortex as Cortex, Serenity or Supernatural.

I saw where for Savage Worlds, there's a way to do Savage Settings, but can't see if there's the same option for Cortex.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Sources are created as needed. To define a new source, simply create a thing that depends on the source. Then click the button to add a new source dependency for the thing and choose a "new" source. Enter the specifics, including any parent for the source. If there's no parent, the new source appears at the top level. If you assign a parent, the new source appears beneath it.

For Savage Worlds, a top-level source was added for all the Savage Settings simply because that would allow users to add new sources in a common and appropriate location for the settings. Other than that, the mechanics are identical.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
For the new game system, I'd recommend making your new setting an option within the core rules section - there are a few extra things for Cortex that can't be handled properly by creating a new source in the editor yet - those will be avoided if you make it one of the settings within the Core rules, like Star of the Guardians, Arcady, or TRACE.

If you don't want to use the core rules as your base, I can explain how to create your source entry in a text editor. If so, tell me a little more about how you're approaching this - which Cortex rule level are you using (1: Serenity, 2: BSG, 3: Demon Hunters, 4: Core, 5: Supernatural, or something else). Do you want to set up any other rules while you're doing that - for example, does your game use the Drive and Watercraft skills, or a single Ground Vehicles skill, or something else?

For the Serenity source, you'll need to add two sources - one for the Serenity core rules, and one for the new material you're adding - this will look like the Core Rules do currently - once Serenity has sub-options, it can't be selected directly, itself, so you'll need a selection option that selects Serenity without selecting your new source.

If you're adding BDH or SS&S, I'd actually recommend making them entirely new sources, and don't put them within the Game Systems section.

(Rob, the reason it can't be created in the editor is that the Cortex sources use autotags to set which mechanics they use - sorry for not catching this message before you did).
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks guys!

I managed to get the new source entry working for me in the editor so now I do have stuff properly only appearing under it.

Mathias, I'm trying to add the SS&S stuff right now, and figure I'll move on to the BDH after a I get all the stuff entered.

I was also looking at adding a new Cortex game system for either Star Wars or a Mecha type (not sure yet, depends on what I can convince gaming group to play).

I know there's a lot of people looking for the SS&S stuff and the BDH, so I'll gladly share as I get stuff done... Welcome to use them as a basis too if doing any official ones.

TC
TCArknight is offline   #4 Reply With Quote