Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

warjacked

Old September 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Ok this is a question out of the blue but why are people required to pay for previous years they didn't pay for instead of permitting them to extend the license from the date they wish.

This is in no way meant to sound rude to your current users but I've only used this program like 8 times since I got it back in 06 and don't see why I need to pay $27.99 for previous years when I probably didn't even use it for 2.5 years since the pc the license was attached to was given to bro and my laptop the secondary was on died on me over a year ago.

Just curious as I left miniatures games for about 1.5-2 years and bro just gave me the crap pc back.
warjacked is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
wookieegunner

Old September 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
There is a longer version here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9112

Short form is that the original Liscencing scheme was based on the assumption that there would be an update every year. It turned out that didn't happen so a lot of people (such as you and me) ended up having serval years of unpaid maintance. Because of this, Lone Wolf decided to offer an upgrade liscence that extends your service for a year from the day it was purchased, instead of requiring you to do a "catch up". This is the model that home software uses (i.e. Microsoft has an Upgrade to Windows 7 for people who have XP or Vista and a retail version for people that don't).

So very short: You're not paying for "unused years" you are paying for a liscence for the new version, which includes a year of updates.
wookieegunner is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
warjacked

Old September 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Have to admit dude it still makes no sense as companies that do antivirus programs like norton don't charge for previous times along with online games, magazines, several others. That was the point I was getting at.

Meh until my secondary license not being able to be swapped to a working lp using a freeware screencapture program to help. >_> when I hear a good explanation from them and get the licenses sorted might renew on pay day.
warjacked is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I assume you are looking at license renewal/restart option for $27.99. This breaks down to $15.49 to utilize all the new functionality that has been introduced since your license expired plus the standard $12.50 for a year of updates from the renewal date point forward.

If your license is only recently expired, it might be cheaper to just extend your license. Both options will be presented, if appropriate, and you can make your own assessment regarding which option will work better for you.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote