Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dryder

Old April 7th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Wow, RW is huge!
I just started to enter the DRAGON'S DEMAND module from Paizo, as we are about to start this adventure in june.

Anyway, I now wonder how you guys start to enter stuff?!

I startet with the small town of Belhaim, adding rumors in the towns section, adding the map, etc...
Dryder is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 7th, 2014, 02:28 AM
I would start by creating the Topics first. Ctrl-Q brings up the Create New Content Element, which is a quick and easy way of creating all your topics.

Once you have all your topics in place, put content in them, which will then auto-create links to other topics.

One thing I will say is to do a bit of testing in a test Realm or a few Topics to get your topics the way you want them. Easier to do that than enter a few dozen or more topics and find that the content doesn't quite fit and you have to delete a few snippets from each topic.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old April 7th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I have to admit that I don't run published modules or settings on principle, but entering my current campaign into Realm Works, I have learned a few things:

1. Find out what the main organizing unit of your adventure is. For most fantasy adventures, it will be locations. For SciFi/Modern campaigns, it might be organizations. For other systems, characters might do the trick, and so on.

2. Create all entries for this type that you possibly can, either filling them with info right away or as you go along.

3. Create entries for lower-level things and assign them to the appropriate entries.

4. Fill them with info.

At least that's how I went about it.

Last edited by monsterfurby; April 7th, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
monsterfurby is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 7th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryder View Post
Wow, RW is huge!
I just started to enter the DRAGON'S DEMAND module from Paizo, as we are about to start this adventure in june.

Anyway, I now wonder how you guys start to enter stuff?!

I startet with the small town of Belhaim, adding rumors in the towns section, adding the map, etc...
If you go to HELP -> MANUAL -> WORLD BUILDERS GUIDE the entire first chapter is a discussion of the many different ways that you can approach entering a new Realm in to RealmWorks.

Also, if you go to HELP -> TUTORIALS there are two that might specifically be of use to you:

"Creating Your World" is a video tutorial on the technical what-to-click parts of creating a new Realm.

"Approaching Content Creation" is a video tutorial that discusses the various methods of entering data that are looked at in the WORLD BUILDERS GUIDE.

They are useful, take a look.
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that the system can't currently rescan entries to update links? That is, if you don't do what the second poster above recommended, there was no way to rescan entries for subsequently added content so that auto-links regenerate?
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that the system can't currently rescan entries to update links? That is, if you don't do what the second poster above recommended, there was no way to rescan entries for subsequently added content so that auto-links regenerate?
No, you can rescan links. There just isn't, currently, a GLOBAL rescan. You just have to go to each topic and tell it to rescan. It's really not a problem to do it that way, though, and it rescans for links perfectly catching anything you've newly created since the topic last did a scan.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote