Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

enrious

Old July 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Right, but I'm guessing you're referring you using it to enter in/keep track of the information of your campaign in RW, which I think all of us are going to be using it for.

But when I'm speaking of the cloud and the vision of the cloud, I'm not talking about that per se - I'm talking about the exchange of information, formal and informal, paid and free, individuals and companies.

So I'd say yes, if you were planning on sharing the data you use for your game/campaign with other users of RW and the RW cloud, then to a degree that's what I mean.

And if other people do it as well.

But the broader, main point I was making was that you could really start to see a much bigger impact, a much richer cloud ecosystem if/when you start to see companies releasing official materials for RW - and the more diverse from Pathfinder, the better.

Not because Pathfinder is unimportant to have, not at all - but rather that because it makes so much sense to have Paizo do stuff with RW, it becomes at least as important to have the companies that aren't as obvious involved. The best way to show flexibility is to demonstrate flexibility - both in terms of what game systems are involved, but also new ways and innovations that can be used by game designers to reach their respective (and potential) audience.

It's not a matter of one or another, but both - because both are just as important, I think.
enrious is offline   #121 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah, before I played Pathfinder, I wondered many times why it seemed like all of the efforts of Lone Wolf went towards Pathfinder. "Wow, ANOTHER Pathfinder data set? When will we get something for Savage Worlds?" had come to my mind many times.

A similar and bigger frustration was that it seemed like Lone Wolf never paid much attention to the other forum sections. There were times that I wondered if I was the only person that even used the Mutants and Masterminds stuff. Things have improved in that area, though.

But I do realize why Pathfinder gets so much attention. It is not because it is a better game or anything like that. It is because it has the opportunity to release more reliable means of money-generating. Things keep get churned out, and LW has a hard time keeping up with it (it is a ton of stuff, after all).

So it is natural that it would get more attention. It is also a lot more complicated to work with as well. Savage Worlds user files are really easy, and the Mutants and Masterminds files are even easier. The only hard thing with them is knowing what to call some things to get the syntax right so it will work. Timing can be tricky at times, too.

I ALMOST contributed a Savage Worlds data set, but my computer was fried by my (now) 2-year old last fall. Do NOT turn your computer on and off again in rapid succession. My motherboard fried, along with the RAM, and it is not good for solid-state drives, either, as they also die from it. That drive died, and so did my contribution.
SeeleyOne is offline   #122 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Yeah, before I played Pathfinder, I wondered many times why it seemed like all of the efforts of Lone Wolf went towards Pathfinder. "Wow, ANOTHER Pathfinder data set? When will we get something for Savage Worlds?" had come to my mind many times.

A similar and bigger frustration was that it seemed like Lone Wolf never paid much attention to the other forum sections. There were times that I wondered if I was the only person that even used the Mutants and Masterminds stuff. Things have improved in that area, though.

But I do realize why Pathfinder gets so much attention. It is not because it is a better game or anything like that. It is because it has the opportunity to release more reliable means of money-generating. Things keep get churned out, and LW has a hard time keeping up with it (it is a ton of stuff, after all).

So it is natural that it would get more attention. It is also a lot more complicated to work with as well. Savage Worlds user files are really easy, and the Mutants and Masterminds files are even easier. The only hard thing with them is knowing what to call some things to get the syntax right so it will work. Timing can be tricky at times, too.

<snip>
Exactly! I'm a Pathfinder player and my involvement is with Hero Lab using the Pathfinder data set, which is why I think it so important for other companies to be involved - Realm Works shouldn't be thought of as Paizo's pet resource, because it doesn't have to be.
enrious is offline   #123 Reply With Quote
curufea

Old July 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrious View Post
Right, but I'm guessing you're referring you using it to enter in/keep track of the information of your campaign in RW, which I think all of us are going to be using it for.

But when I'm speaking of the cloud and the vision of the cloud, I'm not talking about that per se - I'm talking about the exchange of information, formal and informal, paid and free, individuals and companies.
I'll be sharing what I can - because regardless of what system you're using, having plot elements or descriptions of locations for an urban fantasy set in London with Fae can cut out hours of work for anyone starting up a campaign (more so if your campaign is in a similar setting). Pathfinder, Savage World, whatever - you need to have an NPC Fae king for Ireland/Scotland/England - lets have a look on the cloud... hmm here's one from this LARP over here, lets take that and give him some stats for my system-de-jour...

Need a world ending event? Hmm, Father Dragon waking up was used for this LARP, how does it fit for the mythology of my setting?

Last edited by curufea; July 14th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
curufea is offline   #124 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 15th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curufea View Post
i'll be sharing what i can - because regardless of what system you're using, having plot elements or descriptions of locations for an urban fantasy set in london with fae can cut out hours of work for anyone starting up a campaign (more so if your campaign is in a similar setting). Pathfinder, savage world, whatever - you need to have an npc fae king for ireland/scotland/england - lets have a look on the cloud... Hmm here's one from this larp over here, lets take that and give him some stats for my system-de-jour...

Need a world ending event? Hmm, father dragon waking up was used for this larp, how does it fit for the mythology of my setting?
Excellent!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #125 Reply With Quote
curufea

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Another wanted feature - the ability to print/save a graphic of a sociogram (or sociograph) for a given set of individuals (or kingdoms etc).
curufea is offline   #126 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old July 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I had been holding off for sometime expecting the EA access release to answer a question... but since that has experienced some major delays figured I might as well try and get an answer.

I have maintained my campaign (and literally tens of thousands of notes) in a personal wiki (MediaWiki on a flash drive) for several years; will Realms Works either a) allow me to import these notes into it? or b) allow me to hyperlink to the notes on the flash drive (when it is mounted and MW is running)?

Which brings up a second question: Could Realms Works be installed on a flash drive rather than having multiple installs (home desktop, laptop, desktop where I work, etc.)?
Grey Mage is offline   #127 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Mage View Post
Which brings up a second question: Could Realms Works be installed on a flash drive rather than having multiple installs (home desktop, laptop, desktop where I work, etc.)?
I had asked a similar question about pointing save locations to DropBox and the answer was 'no'. The reasoning was they didn't want to have any issues with synching, in case one DropBox location was less recent than another, etc.

Your question is slightly different in that it's a removable drive of some sort and you're asking about install location but given the overabundance of caution on save locations (I think it's completely fixed), I'm going to guess probably not.
weogarth is offline   #128 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old July 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Mage View Post
I have maintained my campaign (and literally tens of thousands of notes) in a personal wiki (MediaWiki on a flash drive) for several years; will Realms Works either a) allow me to import these notes into it? or b) allow me to hyperlink to the notes on the flash drive (when it is mounted and MW is running)?
The last answer I've seen to this is that you're expected to copy/paste, and use the quick-keys to break up the text into easy chunks (for purposes of sharing).

I guess there's always a chance of them doing a text import tool, but I would personally not wait on it as if I understand it there would almost need to be a custom import for a given source (such as MediaWiki and then another for some other wiki and then some other from another source). Hence, copy/paste and then quickly break up into smaller bits may be the final answer.

As for links, I don't think we've seen anything definitive that local hyperlinks will be enabled but then we haven't seen anything to suggest that they won't be enabled.

One thing to bear in mind, if you plan on using RW to share with players, you'll likely want to actually import the material into RW as that would be easier than creating the shares/web server/whatever on your computer to have the link work for anyone else.
enrious is offline   #129 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I thought as much from reading through several dozen posts here, but as most were conjecture I had hopes...

Cut and pasting it will probably have to be.

At last count I had just over 340 thousand pages on my wiki... (Actually they don't make a big enough frown for that one)
Grey Mage is offline   #130 Reply With Quote