Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old June 6th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
As soon as I read this thread, I knew I badly want overlays too, despite not having a clue on how to create one - nor the correct program to do it.

*sigh*.

But a +1 to add this to the dev list. Please.
I recommend GNU Image Manipulation Program - GIMP.

I've not used Photoshop and while I've got Campaign Cartographer 3, I've barely used it.

I took a larger version of this image,

and overlayed a grid, and also the numbering system, then chopped it up into smaller chunks, like so.

It took a little while to get used to how it worked, but the help file and the forum were the way to go with any difficulties.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old June 6th, 2015, 12:31 PM
But of course, an overlay system in RW capable of a grid and numbering would be really very nice indeed.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
azomboid

Old June 9th, 2015, 05:03 AM
I don't think this is a planned feature but since there is no integration with any kinda of like mapping program are there any plans to actually delete fog or war or reveal or move pins in real time to players who are viewing the content using the player version? Cause right now we are kinda trying to figure out what the player version really does. I tried to use the smart overlay to as they entered a building give a fog of war then reveal rooms as they were searched with appropriate pins for items/mobs and so on. Are we waiting on some sort of integration with another program or is this coming or am I on the wishful thinking boat on the river of dreamland?
azomboid is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 9th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azomboid View Post
I tried to use the smart overlay to as they entered a building give a fog of war then reveal rooms as they were searched with appropriate pins for items/mobs and so on.
RW isn't designed to be a VTT.
There are too many tools already available which do the job admirably.

I'm using the Smart Image/map feature to reveal the areas they have explored in an area, but I'm not using pins in real-time to try and show where everybody is moving.
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM
As Farling states, RW is not a VTT. It might be nice if it somehow integrated with one in the future, but I think most users are using it to create and manage Campaign content and would rather the development team focus on features that continue to improve our ability to create and manage content.

The Player Version provides a method for players to access information between sessions or at the table as a kind of diary and reference.

The player view is a way to share information with players in real time on second screen. Some users have rigged this up to provide a digital battlemap and you can find other threads on the forum where this is discussed. I've used it to display maps on a large screen but not as a battlemap.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 11th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
RW isn't designed to be a VTT.
There are too many tools already available which do the job admirably.

I'm using the Smart Image/map feature to reveal the areas they have explored in an area, but I'm not using pins in real-time to try and show where everybody is moving.
I actually do this on the player view (the monitor hooked into my RW) - it works fairly well actually when I have the party do a Nacht Und Nebel operation in a building or some such thing.

The players tell me where their characters are going, I move the pins and they can see it on the screen and everybody have the same picture regarding where they are.

I then use Fog of World (TM) to show what they can see (taking into accounts corners, massive furniture and light).

It actually works surprisingly well for something that was not really intended to be used that way.

Now, if only we could get pins in different colours and shapes :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 11th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
As Farling states, RW is not a VTT. It might be nice if it somehow integrated with one in the future, but I think most users are using it to create and manage Campaign content and would rather the development team focus on features that continue to improve our ability to create and manage content.
Absolutely agree.

With my post prior to this I just wanted to show, that it can be done.

Would still like differently coloured and shaped pins to choose from.
And grouping of pins that could be shown or hidden together.

But I believe we have a thread or two about pins already (and now I can't help thinking of the pinheads in Terry Pratchett's Going Postal).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old June 11th, 2015, 03:30 PM
I wrote myself a small app that creates character icons that can be dragged around on the screen, so I used the RW map & dragged these icons around on top of it. Worked quite well.

Then the d20 Pro Kickstarter came out & I haven't used it since!
DMG is offline   #28 Reply With Quote