Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

adzling

Old May 21st, 2015, 12:50 PM
Hokay some questions for the vets here related to managing content for Plots and Plot Points.

1). It would seem that the content formatting tools (font, color etc) are not available in the Plot and Plot Point areas. Is this intentional, an omission or am I doing it wrong?

2). It would seem that there is no way to add Snippets to the Plot Points or create a default Snippet layout for the Plot Points. This is confusing as it is possible to do this anywhere else in Realmworks. Again, is this intentional, an omission or am I doing it wrong?

3). What is the utility of the "Scene" object under "Events" in the main world almanac? Isn't a "Scene" another way to say "Plot Point"? Again, is this intentional, an omission or am I doing it wrong?

4). All of the above makes me think I am doing something wrong.
I had assumed that an adventure was driven by Plot Points and the GM would reveal various elements of a Plot Point to the players as they progress. It now seems that Realmworks is not really setup to manage adventure content through Plot Points as there is no method to enter new discreet Snippets into Plot Points directly (you can only attach content to a Plot Point, not Snippets).
Again, is this intentional, an omission or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks, as a beginning user of Realmworks it's hard to get a grip on the intent of how this is meant to be used as there is very little guidance and it is unclear what is intentional, what is unfinished and what is an omission.
adzling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:13 PM
The intent is that plot points provide a brief overview of information and then link to a topic or a subplot that provides the full details. In the case of a subplot, it can then contain a full complement of plot points.

1) This is intentional at this time. With plot points edited in a separate dialog and the intention that plot points would contain a brief overview of information, it was deemed that plain text would be appropriate to start.

2) Snippets are ONLY associated with a topic. Plots and plot points do not contain snippets.

3) A Scene topic can contain the details for a plot point and then be associated to the plot point. A plot point can be associated with a topic or a subplot.

4) Realm Works is set up to manage adventure content through Plot Points in conjunction with topics.
davidp is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Derfel

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:18 PM
You can associate topics with a plot point. Think of every plot point as a snippet, either a simple text or a link you can hide/reveal.
So you can create a "Scene" (or character, quest, location etc.) topic and associate a plot point with it to create a link.
Derfel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:28 PM
thanks for your replies, very helpful.

So to paraphrase the idea is that Plots and Plot Points are merely visual reference tools to associate content, they are not in and of themselves content Topics.
Is this correct?

A typical adventure would have a Plot with Plot Points and have Scenes (and possibly other content) associated with each Plot Point.
Is this correct?

This would enable the GM to share content with players by revealing individual Snippets of Scenes associated with the Plot Points, correct?

While I can understand the above (if true, please correct me if i'm wrong!) it seems rather odd that this wasn't all just directly available within the Plot Point.
Is there a rational for having separate "Scenes" unassociated with Plot Points?

I'm still having a hard time understanding how this is meant to be used in play.
Generally speaking as a beginner it's very hard to grok how this app is meant to be used in play, how to use all the features in concert to create a sensible and usable adventure and separating Scenes from Plot Points is very counter-intuitive.

Where does the GM "live" during play?
I had assumed (being a visual person) that the Plot and Plot Points would be the natural place to run the adventure from as it gives the GM a holistic overview of where the players are and where they could go next.

Now it seems I was mistaken.
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM
The Storyboard provides the GM with a way of viewing the relationship of the separate components of the story.

The players won't necessarily know how the plot points are linked together, so their view would just be the scenes (plot points) which they have uncovered during the running of the campaign.

You can provide a very brief summary of a plot point directly in the plot view if you like, but any further breakdown into more detail will require the use of a scene topic.

The World Builder's Guide (PDF available from the Manual page on the Help ribbon) provides a section (1.1.4) which shows how a world builder can start work from the storyboard.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Farling I will look that up.

So the main method for associating details to a Plot Point would be to create a Scene Topic and associate it.
Got it!
adzling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:53 PM
Also, the plot itself can be used for navigation. When it is used for navigation, the plot moves into the left pane and the plot points that are associated with topics (or plots) can then be clicked on to load up the associated topic (or plot) in the right content area.
davidp is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:59 PM
I highly recommend you watch at least the first of these tutorial videos: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=51602

They are short but sweet and really helped me find a niche for storyboards in my games. I use them now all the time as a way to organize my planning and as a high-level guide for running my sessions.
ThatOneMike is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:00 PM
Here's an example of having the plot for navigation and seeing the topics associated with plot points:

Attached Images
File Type: png PlotForNavigation.png (82.4 KB, 66 views)
davidp is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
Where does the GM "live" during play?
I had assumed (being a visual person) that the Plot and Plot Points would be the natural place to run the adventure from as it gives the GM a holistic overview of where the players are and where they could go next.
When I play, I typically have a few tabs open:

1) Storyboard, so I can get back and forth to it easily.
2) Current location (usually a city or town for my games, but since you play Shadowrun, whatever part of town the characters start in).
3) Current Scene, so that I have quick links to all relevant topics.
4+) NPCs in the scene, so that I can view their statblocks and other topic information.

With that setup, I can easily switch tabs and reveal information, and for everything else there's MasterCard... Err, there's CTRL+Q.

When you switch scene, spend a minute closing and opening tabs - it works best if you can do it while describing things to to the players, so as not to break the flow of the game, but no one's likely to begrudge a few seconds here and there, and pretty soon you'll come up with your way of hopping around to make it seamless.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #10 Reply With Quote