Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Vargr

Old March 7th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
A "sync only this topic" wouldn't work where you have new links appearing in the topic that are related to topics that you aren't yet synced. The links are created locally on your PC before being uploaded to the server, so these would become broken links in the player's copy.

There are (most likely) other dependencies that are affected in a similar manner.
Valid point - and don't we hate those?

I do not know how the code behind the program works, but this is what I would like to have. Maybe the wizards at LW can figure something out.

As for links - depending on how the database is organized - I might be lucky and the links (in other topics) could be updated simply and easily along with the topic I want to update - without updating all of the links.

Ah, well - we place our more or less insane visions and wishes in the fora and LW probably swear silently while trying to see if they can be implemented.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I'd be swearing out loud.

My guess, and only a guess, is that something like this would be a little dangerous to do. It being a database, its important to replicate/synchronize full database objects (tables) and not partial database objects (rows/columns).

Depending on the database design, i would imagine that what we are asking there, would mean this request would be asking for update of just rows or columns, because individual topics are likely rows within a "topic" table.

Now again, a lot of this depends how LW does the database updates/syncs, and maybe they do a whole bunch of update/insert statements when we click the sync button (but i imagine not), in which case such a thing could be possible.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have an individual topic sync/publish, so if it is doable, I'd be definitely voting "+1".
mirtos is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 8th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Rob's mentioned that synchs should only push data that has changed. And usually that dataset is very small in size (maps and graphics of course being the main exceptions). Instant synch is coming in the future.
AEIOU is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 9th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Instant synch is coming in the future.
Is it?
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old March 9th, 2015, 03:53 AM
I agree on nearly all counts. I haven't been using RW lately as much and kind of moved back to my huge word documents of doom (and Evernote) because RW still handles a bit like a whale on a high wheel. Everything lags just a little bit too much for my taste, and many things as just a little bit off for my purposes - they work, but they are annoying to use still. For example, I'd appreciate the ability to have less specific dates, i.e. only month and year.

No. 8 on this list is also something I really support. Tags, to me, have proven utterly useless - what I would like, however, is to have a "Topic: Description" type item without having to manually format it.
monsterfurby is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 9th, 2015, 07:41 AM
@Farling: Yes. Rob has stated that constant synch is part of the vision. Please bear in mind that they have a lot of other things that are ahead of it still. My crystal ball says that it'll be after (or part of) the GM web client roll-out. I vaguely recall that Rob's brief statement was around the time of the survey results release but it got buried in the noise around calendars.
AEIOU is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 9th, 2015, 08:39 AM
AEIOU may be thinking about this post from Rob back in September where he talks about continuous syncing: Player Edition Look.

Personally: I work offline most of the time and I have yet to use RW as part of a session so I don't care that much. A feature for the future.

Last edited by Parody; March 9th, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Parody is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Wow, was it that long ago? I think you are indeed correct. And given that his comments were before the survey, I'd take the "looking at in 2015" with a grain of salt.
AEIOU is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old March 11th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Re: Updates - I've previously stated in a request thread for a task tray icon and a resident program that you could fire up and run for this purpose. You could even conceivably close RW and it could download any updates while you're doing something else at a drip-feed.

I am 100% behind you on the live update thing. Revealing a section of map, or a few snippets and then saying "Ok, those with devices may now update them" is rather ordinary as far as revealing goes. And people constantly asking for you to put up a statement, map, picture or other snippet in the Player View so they can re-read it all the time is tedious and jarring to the flow of the game.

As it is, I get the vibe that the basic functionality of the program needs to be ironclad before they do stuff like this, and stuff like calendars and all those doodads will need to be done before they start polishing it up like this.

Sometimes I wish they could have another round of Kickstarter to fund all this other widget gizmo stuff, because now I'm in a position to hop on board with some cash.

(RealmWorks Pro edition, anyone?)
McTaff is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 12th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
Sometimes I wish they could have another round of Kickstarter to fund all this other widget gizmo stuff, because now I'm in a position to hop on board with some cash.
Throwing money or people at a project does not mean the project gets done faster. In example if I put 2,700 women in a room I don't get a baby in one day.

New people to a project actually "slows" a project down why time/resources are spent getting the new programmer up to speed. In very custom built software areas like RW it could take as long as 6 months before that new programmer is not a drain on resources. This is why when the RW team actually lost a programmer they where not replaced. It would have just made things worse.

I see people mention "kickstarter" allot for this stuff and don't think they realize it is not some magical savior of IT projects. It works great for building a large sum of money to pay a Manufacturing Plant that already has its dies built and ready to go. Then yes the Manufacturing plant can mass produce the product.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #30 Reply With Quote