Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Nikmal

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
What makes me upset about D&D next the most is that they are almost afraid to release the entirety of the beta for it and gives us bits and pieces of it instead. This does not make sense to me. Paizo does an open beta where they reveal practically everything about it and WotC... bits and pieces. What are they afraid of?
Nikmal is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
What makes me upset about D&D next the most is that they are almost afraid to release the entirety of the beta for it and gives us bits and pieces of it instead. This does not make sense to me. Paizo does an open beta where they reveal practically everything about it and WotC... bits and pieces. What are they afraid of?
To be honest, it could be that they do not have it all written up as finalized product at this time. This playtest makes "everything" subject to alteration and revision. They want us to test each piece so that if we don't like something we can give them ideas on how it should be fixed or altered.

Take the advantage / disadvantage thing as an example. My players hate it. Simply for the fact at least two players in the group are not the best at dice rolls, one of them is usually rolling natural 1s. Now rolling two dice and keeping the better or worse does a lot of good when he rolls a 1 and a 2. We've seen him do this enough times to know that his luck is just bad on dice. We prefer a system of fixed bonus / penalty like +2 / -2 to the advantage / disadvantage. We also feel as a whole that the critical hit mechanic should include a roll to CONFIRM the critical do to what it does.
RavenX is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
What all people with fragile egos fear. Rejection. I've met some people from WotC at a convention I helped run years ago that worked on D&D for 3.5, and there are some HUGE egos there, mainly because they were designers and what they knew was more than anyone else knew. I think they've had some humble pie since then on more than one occasion. I won't say who, but they were a few of the big names in the industry.
Kendall-DM is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old June 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Sounds like some ego boosting yourself
Having known more then my share of authors/designers in the industry, I agree that there are some large egos there but there are also some fragile ones too. When I was a chat room host for WotC there was some authors and designers that refused to come in to the chat room for discussions unless there was a host there to make sure nothing untoward was said and or done.

Having said all of this. I am still not sure I am all for 5th edition and the place it is going too. I think that they are digging a hole for themselves because it is fast becoming an edition that will backwards compatible for all editions and thus the "last" one that could be made then. That is usually the consensus of most peoples way of thinking from what I am reading so far.
Nikmal is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Having known more then my share of authors/designers in the industry, I agree that there are some large egos there but there are also some fragile ones too. When I was a chat room host for WotC there was some authors and designers that refused to come in to the chat room for discussions unless there was a host there to make sure nothing untoward was said and or done.

Having said all of this. I am still not sure I am all for 5th edition and the place it is going too. I think that they are digging a hole for themselves because it is fast becoming an edition that will backwards compatible for all editions and thus the "last" one that could be made then. That is usually the consensus of most peoples way of thinking from what I am reading so far.

This is why I am hoping for a Print on Demand option for 3.5 that way if 5th isn't good enough or up to par I can firmly plan to run 3.5 instead. I have been running Pathfinder since it came out because I didn't like 4th and all the local players here bought up every available 3.5 book as soon as 4th hit the shelf. Back then I did not have a job or money to get the books. So I was out of luck. I have some books but not all of them. One of my former friends actually stole my core rulebooks and monster manuals and vanished from the area. I have pressed charges on him for the theft but unless he comes back to this state there isn't much that can be done about it. I will have to repurchase the books when WotC rereleases them. This is not Necessarily the last edition of the game, Next is something they want to appeal to the entire fan base with. As such they need to be thorough in their research on what we the players like and dislike. They're at least realized we're the ones that buy the product so our voices are the ones that matter.

Next is likely not completely written as it stands. I can see the modular elements that Monte Cooke mentioned, and I am fine with the game being modular. The rules are not bad as they're written, but for all any of us know they only have loose notes up there right now and don't want to commit anything to book formatting until the game is thoroughly tested and decisions have been finalized about it. I am sure they will eventually give us actual full playtest materials toward the end once they finalize things.
RavenX is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hey Raven I think my FLGS still has a Players and Dungeon Masters V3.5 on its shelf. It's definitely got 9 eberron books plus the eberron Dm screen.

I'm UK based but if you want I'll pop in and see if I can requisition the core books for you and post them along. If they are still available.

Your choice. Let me know.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:

If that were the case, then GURPS would never have made it past 1st edition, it's on 4e now.
I doubt it will be "Backwards compatible" but more of a GURPS thing, with a very base core system, and then add-ons you can buy to expand the rules and capabilities.

Say for instance a Swashbuckling rulebook. There would be a 1e/2e style Swashbuckler, who's pretty much fixed in place, a 3/3.5e Swashbuckler who probably resembles the one from 3.5 but it updated to 5e mechanics (including more robust skills, feats, etc), and a 4e style one with most of that plus powers.

There might be Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/Wizard style swashbuckler classes in the book.
cryptoknight is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
My players have corrected me and burst my bubble so many times, I doubt I could have built up an ego at all! If I make a scenario that has no sense to it, or I slip up, I never hear the end of it from my players.
Kendall-DM is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
My players have corrected me and burst my bubble so many times, I doubt I could have built up an ego at all! If I make a scenario that has no sense to it, or I slip up, I never hear the end of it from my players.
Honestly that is one of the biggest problems with the developers. They play in small groups of tightly knit friends and rarely get their bubbles burst. It was fun to sit at GenCon watching Ed Greenwood walk over to their tables and burst their bubbles. Ed shows up as Elminster and will use the "wish" spell himself to alter the flow of someone else's RPGA game session, and they have to deal with it when he does. The living forgotten realms are still under Greenwood's control for the most part, and it is a setting that I still enjoy running. Players will burst your bubble a lot. If you run RPGA events you end up with new players frequently.
RavenX is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Honestly that is one of the biggest problems with the developers. They play in small groups of tightly knit friends and rarely get their bubbles burst. It was fun to sit at GenCon watching Ed Greenwood walk over to their tables and burst their bubbles. Ed shows up as Elminster and will use the "wish" spell himself to alter the flow of someone else's RPGA game session, and they have to deal with it when he does. The living forgotten realms are still under Greenwood's control for the most part, and it is a setting that I still enjoy running. Players will burst your bubble a lot. If you run RPGA events you end up with new players frequently.
Ed Greenwood is one of the most humble, and brilliant, gamers I have ever met. I wish that his original FR world was not corrupted by TSR/WotC developers that kept powering it up to a ridiculous level. After I got out of the military in 1988, and decided to reboot my entire campaign with the 2nd Ed ruleset, scraping my world and it's craziness (my first interation was a huge plagiarism disaster), I began plans to run in the original FR stuff that had came out that was all Ed Greenwood. Once I saw what other developers starting doing with it though, I quickly discarded the idea and made the campaign world I run today from scratch, but I got a ton of inspiration from the work Greenwood did on his original campaign. I will usually pick up anything he does.
Kendall-DM is offline   #30 Reply With Quote