Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Robin79

Old October 5th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Hi to all,

I´m using the GM edition of RW now for around a year and I´m really happy with it in several different story based campaigns.

But now I´m planning a sandbox styled campaign and I´m sure that my players will profit from using RW as well in such a setting.

But as no one of them uses a Windows device (only iOs / Android Tablets): When can I expect the web version to be released?

Or is there any solution for using the player clients on non-Windows devices?

Please get me right: We´re not unwilling to pay for the player licences - especially in bundle this wouldn´t be more expensive than the usual "gaming food costs" for one session. It´s just that we can´t use them, regarding the given hardware at our table.

Thanks in advance for answering,
Robin
Robin79 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin79 View Post
Hi to all,

I´m using the GM edition of RW now for around a year and I´m really happy with it in several different story based campaigns.

But now I´m planning a sandbox styled campaign and I´m sure that my players will profit from using RW as well in such a setting.

But as no one of them uses a Windows device (only iOs / Android Tablets): When can I expect the web version to be released?

Or is there any solution for using the player clients on non-Windows devices?

Please get me right: We´re not unwilling to pay for the player licences - especially in bundle this wouldn´t be more expensive than the usual "gaming food costs" for one session. It´s just that we can´t use them, regarding the given hardware at our table.

Thanks in advance for answering,
Robin
The "official response" to all things NOT content market is soon... fwtw

As to IOs and other devices and a potential workaround... there has been discussions on several threads with Michael Miller (aka Parody leading the charge on those details) I defer to those more learned than I ....
see here for some details...
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52607
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53570
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52607

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Robin79

Old October 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the links, I´ll study that!

Anyway, could "soon" be a little more precised (from official side)? Something like "(trying) this year" or "first quarter of the next" or such would be a great help for my planning....
Robin79 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 5th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin79 View Post
Thanks for the links, I´ll study that!

Anyway, could "soon" be a little more precised (from official side)? Something like "(trying) this year" or "first quarter of the next" or such would be a great help for my planning....
"Soon" means sometime between now and the end of time.

The whole point of saying "soon" is to NOT put down any precise date because if it gets missed for any reason then people go crazy. Everything from demanding money back to telling how Lone Wolf is going out of business. Crazy but true...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 5th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Well, at least with the Web version, we know it is there. They've demoed it on the web and at Gen Con. But they can't release that until they they release the content market. As for the release date of the content market it is not so much "soon" but as soon as humanly possible without compromising on quality or IP protection.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old October 5th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Which means they will announce possibly the day before or the day of the planned roll out and not one nanosecond earlier.
Viking2054 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old October 15th, 2015, 06:03 PM
However, using past history we can anticipate when the next Major release date will be. By my calculation, they have had a Major release on the following days:

02-06-16 116 days (average number of days listed below)
10-13-15 200 days
03-27-15 128 days
11-19-14 101 days
08-10-14 37 days
07-04-14

This does not account for minor release and may or may not account for every release but should be fairly close. Using this as a guide, the next major release should be around January 2016. I base this on the average number of days between releases and assume (hope) they will get is out a bit sooner (pure average shows 02/06/16). With the exception of July to August 2014, it is over 100 days between each release (and March to October was 200).

Last edited by Mmurphy; October 16th, 2015 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Put the actual number of days on the wrong date line and added the 2016 date
Mmurphy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 15th, 2015, 09:03 PM
The update rate would of course be faster if we had custom calendars whereby we could compress the timeframes ourselves. But alas, that will need to wait for the October update based on the math. AFTER that things will happen much faster because we'll be in charge of the calendars.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Robin79

Old October 16th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Haha, yes, that sounds reasonable :-)

My 5 cents on getting the web version as soon as possible:

RW was the best investment in the hobby since I bought the first 'basis box' of DSA ("Das Schwarze Auge" = "The dark eye") which brought me into RPG´s some 25 years ago (as, I assume, 99% of german gamers).

If there would be an easy way to use RW on non-Windows devices and/or a free way of having a look at it (to say "have a look at it. You´ll be exalted!") it would sky-rocket (and people won´t mind to pay some lousy 10 bucks afterwards for purchasng the full player client).

Of course I´m fully fine with the notion that too ambitious release dates shouldn´t dictate a loss of quality (I´m in the IT, too)....but I really think that getting the web version to the customer as soon as possible (without issues) would be on behalf of this awesome tool....

Vizz best regards from ze fatherland,
Robin
Robin79 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old October 27th, 2015, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
The update rate would of course be faster if we had custom calendars whereby we could compress the timeframes ourselves. But alas, that will need to wait for the October update based on the math. AFTER that things will happen much faster because we'll be in charge of the calendars.
Once we have custom calendars, we can set it for early 1974...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #10 Reply With Quote