Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

amz1

Old September 8th, 2019, 09:29 AM
I just purchased the add-on for the Lost Omens World Guide and was surprised not to see any of the options available for my PC. It took me awhile to realize that I had to go into the settings for that PC and enable the add-on. Once I did that I immediately saw that this was going to be very annoying once I have multiple characters. As currently configured, it appears that every time Hero Lab releases a new add-on, I'll need to go into every one of my characters and affirmatively add that add-on in its settings. Why? This seems so tedious and unnecessary. If I'm buying an add-on from you it's because I want to use it. It's hard for me to imagine a situation where I would buy an add-on and not want it available to each of my characters. I hope you will make this automatic, or at least offer us an option in the global settings to turn it on and off for all our characters. Thanks.
amz1 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 8th, 2019, 09:31 AM
PF1 in HLC had the opposite effect. Whenever you purchased an add-on it was automatically enabled when you next loaded a character portfolio.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Hi amz1. We got feedback that not every character in every campaign should have access to everything you have purchased, depending on the GM's preferences. We have also heard the other opinion, as you've expressed it and we're considering all angles. Thanks for letting us know your stance.
Lj Stephens is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old September 8th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
Hi amz1. We got feedback that not every character in every campaign should have access to everything you have purchased, depending on the GM's preferences. We have also heard the other opinion, as you've expressed it and we're considering all angles. Thanks for letting us know your stance.
It would be nice to have a tick-box under Options to decide which behavior is preferred, e.g. "Auto-Enable Newly Purchased Content: Y/N"

Best of both worlds that way!
dacoobob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
wynlyndd

Old September 8th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Seems that behavior would most likely be a GM by GM basis. I think content should auto-enable by default, but if you are playing a character under a GM who doesn't have or allow certain content you could turn it off for that character.

Of course, the opposite could be true for you in that you mostly play under a GM who doesn't allow much content but you have that one character under a liberal GM where anything goes, but I think the first scenario is more likely.
wynlyndd is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old September 9th, 2019, 03:43 PM
I like the toggle, choose either of these two options.
Choosing one will disable the other.
Ualaa is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
amz1

Old September 10th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Well, I really only play Pathfinder Society and it's very tedious to have to turn these check boxes on for every single character for every single source. Worse, if you forget to do it, you end up digging around trying to find some feat or item that you thought should be available but now you can't find it. It also means that when choosing options for a character you will often miss out on things that would be good choices for you simply because HLO is not showing them because you didn't check the appropriate box. I really hope that WolfLair will consider at least making this an option for those of us who want it. I was a very loyal customer of Hero Lab Classic (bought every single Pathfinder data package) but so far I'm less than overwhelmed by HLO (sorry, but it's the truth, hope it will get better as you continue to develop it) and this issue is just one more way that the implementation doesn't feel very friendly to the user.
amz1 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 10th, 2019, 12:24 PM
What's being described is not the way the behavior is set up to work. New sources are set up to turn on automatically, as long as you own the package they're included in.

What I suspect may be happening is that between the time we made the update available for purchase, and the time people purchase the update, they've opened their characters - once it's opened, HL will save the state of each book, and if the source is available, but not purchased yet, it will save that that character does not use that book, and in that case, you'd need to re-open the settings for that character to turn on that book.

We did not change the way this is handled in HLO from the way it is handled in HLC.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old September 13th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Considering we only have 1 book so far, not a huge issue BUT as you guys move forward and give us the ability to connect with our GM and other party members, could you guys PLEASE allow the GM to create "templates" for allowed content?

I may GM multiple groups with different criteria (one campaign is core only and another is kitchen sink.) And as a player I may play with other GM that allow or disallow certain books.

Ideally this "template" would be stored under an account and come with a tiny URL or code that a player can add to a character. As the template is updated the characters options are updated as well.

Please and thank you!

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old September 13th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
What's being described is not the way the behavior is set up to work. New sources are set up to turn on automatically, as long as you own the package they're included in.

What I suspect may be happening is that between the time we made the update available for purchase, and the time people purchase the update, they've opened their characters - once it's opened, HL will save the state of each book, and if the source is available, but not purchased yet, it will save that that character does not use that book, and in that case, you'd need to re-open the settings for that character to turn on that book.

We did not change the way this is handled in HLO from the way it is handled in HLC.
so it only works properly if we buy new content the minute it's released? is that intentional?
dacoobob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote