Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Murrdox

Old May 30th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Hello,

I painted myself into a bit of a corner in Realm Works and I am not sure how to get out. Normally this issue wouldn't bother me, but I'm authoring this Realm with the idea of hopefully publishing it one day, so I want it to be setup correctly.

In the Realm that I'm working on, I setup a cast of characters for a scene. When I initially setup the cast, I decided to create the cast of characters under the "Events" group for the scene and not the "People" group. Now, going back to it, I think I'd rather have the cast of characters under "People".

I am at a total loss on how to do this. The only way I can see that this can be accomplished is to create a Topic under "People" and then add the cast of characters to that container. The thing is though, in the background the cast of characters is STILL really up in Events. If I delete the container, the cast of characters moves itself right back up to Events.

The only workaround I can think of is that I would have to create a new cast of characters from scratch, and then manually copy, one by one, all of the snippets from the old characters to the new characters.

Please tell me there's an easier way for this? I wouldn't really care, except I want the formatting of the Realm to be "correct".
Murrdox is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old May 30th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Is there way to show screenshot of what you are trying to move? I don’t understand clearly, but if it is organizational thing you can change the topic/article category to a different one and it will re-arrange on the left navigation pane in the proper group. Nothing will be lost, the conversion retains all information.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old May 30th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks Valyar, you pushed me to take a bit of a closer look and I figured it out.

I was understanding "Groups" wrong. I was treating Groups as a static assignment, similar to a Topic. I thought Topics were manually nested inside of Groups, but that is not the case. Topics are dynamically assigned to Groups based on their category.

I was frustrated because I wanted to drag and drop a Topic from one group to another group. That doesn't work because Group assignment is just a dynamic grouping based on the category. To make something appear in a different group, you need to actually change the category.

To complicate matters, my Cast List was technically a "Group List" and not a "Cast List". Groups Lists are grouped under Groups, and Cast Lists are grouped under "People".

So to solve this what I needed to do was to remove the container relationship of my Group List, and then to get it into the People Group where I wanted it, I needed to change the category from Group List to Cast List. Now it shows up in People just how I wanted it to.
Murrdox is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 30th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Murrdox.. the Container relationship has no bearing on the Group.

The Group display is an option that can be set in the Realm preferences (Manage Realm). The option combines similar Categories, as you have noted. Each category is assigned to a Group as part of its Definition.

The Containment relationship between Topics has little or no impact unless you change the Navigation Pane display to "Show Containing Topic Hierarchy" ... at that point, the Groups become irrelevant and the "Tree" of Topics is displayed (though the root will appear in the Group entry it belongs to, all other Topics will be nested in an expandable/collapsible tree under that Topic).

If you turn off the Groups display, each Category gets its own expandable/collapsible section where all Topics of that type appear (unless the "Show Containing Topic Hierarchy" is "on").

Does that help?
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old May 30th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Yup! Very much so. After Valyar's post I found the option to "Group Similar Kinds of Topics" and I unchecked it. Then I saw my navigation pane in all its naked, ungrouped glory.

That was my *lightbulb* moment for realizing that I was understanding Groups completely wrong.

This is GOOD, because they make a heck of a lot more sense to me now in terms of how I should organize my Realm.
Murrdox is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old May 30th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Glad you have it sorted!

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote