Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Silveras

Old June 12th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiordhraoi View Post
I agree on the need for web access - it was one of the promised features that made me kickstart/buy Realmworks. The primary attraction of Realm Works for me was to be able to use it as a place to publish a lot of detail and let my players be able to see what details have been revealed. I run an ongoing, 15 year game with a rotating character base, so being able to make historical story information available to players is a huge draw for me. As it is, the time investment needed for me to be able to put things into realmworks just isn't worth it.

Crossing my fingers that they supply that feature soon. As is, Realmworks has pretty much been gathering dust on my PC while I wait for the primary promised feature I wanted.
So, first off, I don't recall web access being "promised" for the Kickstarter...more like "suggested as a future enhancement". Reviewing the kickstarter page now, I see no mention at all of web-based access to the content.

Second, the web access that has been briefly discussed would begin with read-only player access that would be more limited than the access from the desktop Player Edition.

Some period of time after that, some GM access might come. The discussion in the past indicated that the desktop application would always be "ahead" in terms of features and access; new features would migrate to the web after the desktop.

Naturally, since what has been discussed in the past was all tentative, it is subject to revision as time goes by.

Having said all that, leaving RealmWorks idle because it doesn't have "the one key feature" you want is misguided, I think. You mentioned that the input time isn't worth it. That time investment will not change much if/when web access is available. You're STILL going to need to spend time learning the application, organizing how you want to present your data, and putting it in. As part of this, you may well need one or more attempts before it is "just the way you want it". Your players can have access now to the Player Edition and can have all the features you talked about being what you want.

"a place to publish a lot of detail and let my players be able to see what details have been revealed. I run an ongoing, 15 year game with a rotating character base, so being able to make historical story information available to players is a huge draw for me." That's all in the application now. Just not web-based.

If you're on a non-Windows platform, that's a bit different, but you did not mention that.

So rather than leave RealmWorks idle while waiting for a feature that may be years out (the ones actually promised in the kickstarter are just now nearing fulfillment, 4+ years after the original estimated delivery date), I would say you should be using the time in order to conquer the learning curve and working out your organizational plans.
Silveras is offline   #11 Reply With Quote