Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
It has to be a specific pick, and it has to be something that's guaranteed to be on all characters.

If you want it to instead display whatever example the user selects from a category of things (such as from a chooser), you can't put the template there directly - your template will instead be a table entry in a table that has only one item.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to spend a bit of time explaining how the agent linkage mechanisms work, so you can build something like the Pathfinder/d20 class tabs.
For the most part, I need the features thing to display text. So I think template is the right way to go. Basically its displaying what additional skills the Space Marine gets training in. This system is much less complicated than Pathfinder's class system. When a user picks a specialty for a space marine, they get what they get. Kind of like how character classes in 2nd edition worked.

The only thing the user picks is the Special Ability (A solo mode or squad mode ability) and I left that in the abAbility table because it works fine like that, I figured no sense reinventing the wheel on that. I still need to figure out how to put prereqs on the special abilities so only the valid options are selectable for each specialty but I'd like to get the basics of the tab done before worrying about that. Deathwatch Specialty's are basically simplified character classes, like that paths that Dark Heresy characters get, but they're fixed paths without any branch points between ranks. If you're a tactical marine, you're a tactical marine for the duration of play.
RavenX is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:37 PM
So if I'm not mistaken you are saying the thing="" should be the pick where the data I'm looking to display is stored, or an info pick set up in the proceedures for display?
RavenX is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:53 AM
If you want to set up a portal like this:

Code:

<portal
  id="info"
  style="actInfo">
  <action
    action="info">
    </action>
  <mouseinfo/>
  </portal>
Then you want thing="spcTactica" in the templateref for the template this shows up in, in order to show it for the tactical specialty, or you want thing="spcDevasta" to show it for the devastator specialty.

Since you probably don't want to write a different template for every possible specialty, you'll probably want to place this info portal inside a table - that table will be a fixed table that will only show the single specialty that was selected for this character.
Mathias is online now   #43 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM
You don't need a table for every specialty though do you?
I thought all I needed was one template / table to display the data, based on the choice the user makes on the specialty chooser.
RavenX is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
If you want to set up a portal like this:

Code:

<portal
  id="info"
  style="actInfo">
  <action
    action="info">
    </action>
  <mouseinfo/>
  </portal>
Then you want thing="spcTactica" in the templateref for the template this shows up in, in order to show it for the tactical specialty, or you want thing="spcDevasta" to show it for the devastator specialty.

Since you probably don't want to write a different template for every possible specialty, you'll probably want to place this info portal inside a table - that table will be a fixed table that will only show the single specialty that was selected for this character.
When I'm working with the info portal does it always show up as a mouseover ? in hero lab or are there other ways to get this portal to display the information?
RavenX is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I just remembered an info portal from your last example, so that was the example I used. You can display whatever information you want, through label portals, through an info button, or whatever.
Mathias is online now   #46 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM
This is the kind of table I mean:

Code:

<portal
  id="spSpec"
  style="tblInvis">
  <table_fixed
    component="Specialty"
    showtemplate="spSpecPick">
    </table_fixed>
  </portal>
Since characters in this system will only have one Specialty, this will simply display the information about whatever specialty they chose.
Mathias is online now   #47 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Ok cool. I think I get it now. I don't know why I couldn't figure these out before. I guess I was just too stressed out or something. I see what you mean now. I actually got this working. I feel like I've finally made some progress on this now.

Thank you Mathias.
RavenX is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I actually got this working. I feel like I've finally made some progress on this now.
Thats very encouraging.
morkalg is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkalg View Post
Thats very encouraging.
Don't get your hopes up just yet though.
I still have a lot to learn still and many things to iron out on this data.

I understand how these portals work though, which is a good thing and a step in the right direction.
RavenX is offline   #50 Reply With Quote