Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

mirtos

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I think I know other DM's with similar setups.

I have a very powerful computer. Its a desktop (GIANT tower). Tons of ram, diskspace, etc.. home grown. I do a lot of my work on it, and have space for my gaming stuff.

I obviously dont bring this monstrosity to the gaming table. So what I do is have my laptop (which also has herolab) connect via my internal WiFi to edit the main characters during the game. Things like hit points, experience, etc... (I have a hero lab license on both).

So while I could in theory remote desktop to the main computer and do things that way, I choose not to because the skype is run out of the laptop i use to take notes (we have some external players). I could do both, but it could get weird.

Anyway, Ive talked to some other DM's who do things like this, and they do similar setups. So my question is sortof about licensing.

Will DM's be allowed to have more than one computer with the RealmsWorks software on it?
mirtos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
merlinsghost

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I have a similar situation, though for specific hardware reasons - my desktop has 3 monitors and I really prefer doing work on it; it is very handy to have RW on the center display with a rulebook or source material on the right.

The issue comes when I use RW for its intended purpose -- I am not at home and I'm using my laptop (1 screen). So I do all of my prep work on the desktop and the usage/running of things on my laptop.
merlinsghost is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
morkalg

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I'm in a similar boat. I have a desktop with multiple monitors which made prep in the past easier (RW as is still blows my old methods away) but I've got RW installed on my laptop to use it during game. Once all the licensing issues are sorted out, if it's possible, I'd love to be able to prep on my desktop.
morkalg is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morkalg View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I have a desktop with multiple monitors which made prep in the past easier (RW as is still blows my old methods away) but I've got RW installed on my laptop to use it during game. Once all the licensing issues are sorted out, if it's possible, I'd love to be able to prep on my desktop.
I forgot to mention the multiple monitors, but yeah, i use that also. I just have my monitors in my office, and my laptop at the gaming table. (which isnt always at my home, depending whos hosting that week), similar to merlin's ghost.
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Will DM's be allowed to have more than one computer with the RealmsWorks software on it?
Absolutely. We expect the majority of GMs to develop their content on a desktop machine and then use a laptop during play. Consequently, everything for Realm Works will be tied to an account, and you'll be able to access the product from multiple machines using that account. In many ways, this will work similarly to Steam, although not exactly the same.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Absolutely. We expect the majority of GMs to develop their content on a desktop machine and then use a laptop during play. Consequently, everything for Realm Works will be tied to an account, and you'll be able to access the product from multiple machines using that account. In many ways, this will work similarly to Steam, although not exactly the same.
That is sweet news Rob! This project gets better everytime I hear more about it!

EK
EberronKnight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
merlinsghost

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Will there be an "offline" mode similar to Steam? The sites where I run my games do not have Internet access, nor are they in cell phone range most of the time so using a smart phone for access wouldn't be an option.
merlinsghost is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsghost View Post
Will there be an "offline" mode similar to Steam? The sites where I run my games do not have Internet access, nor are they in cell phone range most of the time so using a smart phone for access wouldn't be an option.
Absolutely. The fundamental premise behind Realm Works is that it's designed specifically for offline use, with online use providing added value when available. But all the core functionality runs standalone so you can use Realm Works anywhere and anytime you want.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote